-03-

How is travelling back in time theoretically possible? I flipped through the stacks of thick quantum physics books, skimming through the chapters with my finger. Why would they send someone as insignificant as me back in time, to fulfil my desires? Or is there something important that I am destined to change, the future, maybe.

Things happen, her death was just another misfortune in the universe, just another causality. Is she essential to the future? So important that they had to send someone to change the past?

This was the second week since I got sent back in time, or so to say September 19th, 2019.

I continued reading, 'The butterfly effect is an idea which a small change can make much bigger changes happen; one small incident can have a big impact on the future.' There it was, where the world had millions and millions of possibilities, and one small difference may cause something big. Maybe, just maybe, Eliza's death had changed something elsewhere, in the other thousands of alternate universe.

This states that the world is at random, and no one can predict the future. It also means in hundreds of other universe, Eliza's death never happened, maybe some of them didn't even have Eliza in it, like I said, unpredictable. It doesn't make sense in that way, why would her death affect everything else if the future isn't fixed?

It would make sense if it's the opposite, where the future is fixed and changing the future was simply impossible. I stopped at the next page of the book, the last page of the chaos theory, the laplace's demon.

'In which all positions, velocities and forces of all the particles and atoms in the world is already predicted in the universe at one time, and thus know the universe at all times. Like a God, knowing the past, present and future all at once.'

Using this theory, it means that everything is already set in place. And if we're talking about Eliza's death, it would already be predicted, together with the other universes. Was there something wrong with this universe? Maybe Eliza was not suppose to be dead after all, something happened to her that changed the 'fixed future', and I'm here to return it to what it was supposed to be.

I closed the book, carrying it in my arms, slinging my backpack over my shoulders. I need to calm down, I have an entire school year to change the fate of Eliza, or perhaps the universe.

I never met Eliza at all for all this time, I need to take it slow, think it through. I didn't know why she killed herself, I'm not even sure if she really killed herself at all, that was just what I was told by the cops. That her reason of death was depression and anxiety of her past and by jumping into the sea from the Hell Gate Bridge in New York.

She was mistreated and ran away from her home when she was 16 and independently survived by herself all this time, by working shifts and renting a small apartment. Her parents were unknown, there were no records of her or her family at all, she was alone all this time.

How do I approach her without seeming nosey? After an entire year of being strangers, trying to be friends again was like rubbing salt over a wound. Maybe she'll think that I'll be doing it out of pity, what if she hates me more?

That's stupid, Eliza isn't that sort of person. She is reasonable, kind and understanding. But for me to prevent her death, I need to know the trigger, the main reason. When did she decide, how did she get the idea? How can I be sure to be able stop her?

Just being close to her isn't enough, I need to fully understand her, fully retrieve back the trust and bond we had during the time we were friends. After that, what do I do? Tell her I'm here for her? She won't believe me if I tell her I'm from the future, much less care about it, who am I to tell her what to do, I need her to change her mind herself.

Soon, very soon, I'll won't let her be alone anymore, I'll be there for her, I'll be the one person that wasn't there when she was gone, I won't let her go again, ever.