-05-

'When you lay down at night
I hope you see our fight
'Cause you said this and did that, took my heart, gave it back
So how do you expect me to be happy for you?

Never saw the good in byes, I will never tell that lie
If you're gettin' out, I'll drive, yeah
Maybe you could find yourself better with someone else
Glad I could be some help.'

My car blasted out with the loud music, I leaned back on the cotton seat, school was tiring, I felt like sleeping right now. I held back a yawn, winding down the window and feeling the breeze of  the school parking lot. 

It's been five months already, and I can't seem to even find an opening to talk to her. In a way, I've become afraid of doing something wrong, giving the wrong impression or making it seem weird. At this rate, I won't even be able to know the truth. The real, actual truth.

I could hear soft shouting and footsteps from afar, at first I thought it was some kids fooling around but I sat up in surprise as I saw two men in a dark blue uniform, who I recognised as cops, yelling and running towards someone. I squinted at the small figure dashing through poles and corners, realising it was in fact, Eliza.

I immediately hit the engine and chased after the scene, my car stopping beside the sidewalk and eyed Eliza from the side-view mirror as she hurried along the road from behind. As she got closer I opened the shotgun door, shouting for her to get in.

She stopped for a moment to hesitate, turning behind to see the two cops racing after her, then sliding onto the seat and pulling the door shut. I drove off, leaving the school with an awkward tension in the car.

After a minute of silence, "So," I started, my eyes fixed on the road, "any idea why the cops were after you?"

She didn't respond, staring off through the car window.

"Guess not," I muttered to myself, stopping at a red light, "where are you planning on heading?"

I sneaked a glance at her and she tensed up, mumbling something under her breath.

"What?"

"I'm hungry," she said again, louder.

-<3->

"Your order?"

"Two iced latte and a pancake set, please." I closed the menu, setting it down on the table.

The waitress walked off and I directed my vision to Eliza, who was sitting nervously in the seat opposite me, "Why were the cops chasing you just now?"

"I don't know." she mumbled, cupping her chin on her palm, her voice unreasonably soft and forced.

"You sure?"

"They probably found out I didn't belong here or something."

"In the state?"

She glared at me, "Where else? I ran away from home when I was sixteen, I didn't expect you to forget that so soon, it has only been a year."

"I was just asking," I tapped my finger on the table, "Not planning on meeting your family, are you?"

"I'll get in trouble," 

"I'm sorry." I blurted out suddenly.

She scowled at me, "For what?"

"How I acted as if I didn't know you all this time, as if we weren't friends."

She suppressed a laugh, "What do you mean? It's only four months that I've been-- you know, alone."

"Why were you alone anyways?"

"It just turned out that way."

"I talked with Katherine a couple of weeks ago, she says you were the one that didn't want to be friends with her group anymore."

The waitress brought over a tray with two lattes on it, placing it on the table before walking off.

Eliza slid hers over and stirred it with a teaspoon, "I see," she blew on the spoon before sipping it, "what's with your sudden interest in me? It's kinda creepy."

"I'm sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable, I--"

"I'm kidding."

"Oh," I brought the mug up to my lips, "I just thought you were out of place, after you bumped into me at the hallway, it just seemed off."

"After, huh?"

The waitress came back to pass the pancake set, giving the receipt to me and I placed it under my mug. Eliza started digging in with her fork and knife, I flexed my fingers.

"You haven't answered my question, Eliza. About why you stopped making friends."

She continued eating in silence.

"Hey--"

She looked up at me and reached into her pocket and took out some cash, placing it on the table, "Things just had to be done." she said, standing up as she wiped the corner of her mouth with a napkin.

"You didn't finish your food," I stated.

"You can eat the rest if you want," she shrugged, pushing her chair back to its original position, she turned around to leave. 

"Ah," she swung her head back, as if she just remembered something, "make this the last time of us being friends, don't talk to me at school, or ever. You were doing me a favour, keep it up."

I arched my head back in exhaustion as she left the store, I didn't even bother to stop her. I grabbed the receipt and the cash she left on the table and stood up to walk over to the counter, paying for the last of our meal.