Prologue

"Why do you want me?" I whisper so quietly that I would be surprised if a mouse heard me. I stare at the ground while saying it hoping he wouldn't hear me. But luck isn't on my side today because he did hear me. I can feel his stare on me. It's like he is trying to figure me out, but just can't put the pieces together. His stare is so intense that I am scared he will hit me. I already have enough bruises on my body I don't want anymore. So, when his hand started come toward me, I flinch away from him. It is my first instinct to flinch away from the human touch though.

I am brought back from my thoughts when he says something I am not expecting. "You're cute and innocent. But you are also so unbelievably broken, and I'm going to find out, even if it kills me!" he said with so much power it scares me. But, I still don't look up at him. As if knowing I'm not going to say anything back he continues talking. "I know that something is up with you and I want to know what it is." The concern in his voice makes me look up at him curiously. The only thing going through my mind right now is 'Why is the school bad boy worried about little ole' me?' When I finally find the courage to look in his eyes I am surprised to see that they hold actual concern for me.