Chapter 3

Sam what's going on? I questioned. He was obviously concerned about my kids and that concerned me. He tells me something has happened at the school, and the kids have been in lockdown for the last hour but they are okay. Callen calls us on his way up to ops. He has obviously just got off the phone with someone.

I take Jason back from Grace who rushes up to ops with Luke. I make my way up to ops pretty quickly. Kensi looks very worried, of course she does, our children have been in danger. She kisses Jasons sleeping face and then me.

Callen begins by saying that a gunman came into Warrington Preparatory soon after 1 o’clock, and the school went into lockdown. All kids were accounted for and LAPD were able to arrest the man with no casualties. Thank goodness that’s where my children are. 

Sam, Kensi and I can't investigate the case because of our personal involvement from the kids and our covers. Which leaves us to go and pick up our kids from school and take them home. Callen has given us the rest of the day off,  telling us he will check in with us tonight.  He sends Grace and Luke to the school to check that it is all secure, and liase with LAPD. Many children of military and Navy Officers go to this school, we need to make sure that nothing has been compromised.

So we are going to pick up our kids. I think Kensi was just waiting to get out of there to go get them, she didn't even argue. I grab her hand and we grab our bags and a half awake Jason and head to the kids School.

In the car I chat mindlessly about what we are going to have for dinner.  Kensi just turns to me and tells me to stop. Jason is just playing around in the back seat laughing to himself.

Kensi starts "I don't know if I can do this..." She grabs one of my hands "Another kid, what were we thinking Deeks, I don't know if I can do it. If this happens to our kids all the time. "

I pull her hand towards me and kiss it. I smile "You probably can't,  but we can. Together you and me, we can do it. Kensi and Deeks, like always. I love you"

When we pull into the car lot at the school, she leans over and kisses me. Jason giggles. Kensi just smiles, I know that she's okay now. And just really wants to find Ria, Gabe and Fern.

We get out, I grab Jason from his car seat and Kensi and I split up.  Kensi is getting the twins, I'm going looking for Fern. Jason waves to his mama as we walk away. All the kids are sitting on the grass in front of the school in their class lines with teachers and police walking around. Apparently all parents were called and you are required to sign your kid out. Would be fine if I could find Fern. I'm looking for her dark hair like her mamas. Jason is calling Fer, Fer! It's kinda cute I got to admit. I spot her class teacher and make my way through the throngs of parents towards him. As soon as he spots me he comes over and tells me I have to pick Fern up from LAPD officers inside the building. He turns back to the rest of his class.

What had Fern done now.

I spot Kensi with the twins. I signal to her that we have to head to the school building. She nods and picks up Ria and grabs Gabes hand, moving a bit faster. We both know that Fern often got herself into these messes.

I meet up with Kensi outside the building. I quickly kiss Ria and grab Gabe up and give him a hug. Boy I missed these little fellas. Gabe tells me all about having to sit under his desk really quietly and that he read a whole book while they waited. I tell him that he did a good job. I look at Kensi and shrug, I have no idea what she's done but we better find out.

Inside the building, we walk to the administrative area.  I see one of my old pals from my police days. He comes over and says hi and asks us if he can help us with anything. I tell him that I'm here to collect Fern Marie Deeks, my daughter. He smiles and says I should've known. A police officer leads a tearful Fern from the Principal's office. She runs towards me and I put my arm out that wasn't holding Jason and grab her. I pull her close. Kensi takes Jason from me. I pick up Fern as she cries. What has she done. My baby. I hold her for another few minutes and then put her down. I crouch to her level and wipe her tears away. I think she was just more frightened by all the police if anything.

Sam walks in with Kam and begins talking to Kensi. An officer signals to me that he needs to talk to Kensi, Fern and I. Kensi hands Jason to Uncle Sam and Kam sits down to play with the twins.

We sit down on chairs in the Principal's office. Fern has snuggled herself into Kensi. Either she is terrified, done something wrong, or both.

As it had turned out, when the school went into lock down Fern got out of "escaped" her classroom and run towards the man with the gun.  Swat had got to her before there had been any real damage done, so it wasn't a big deal, just a little bit scary. Her explanation was that she was going to take him down like Uncle Callen did. Well Uncle Callen would be proud when he came over tonight. The school advised us that maybe it was a good idea if we kept her home from school tomorrow.

So we went home.