Hope

He had been waiting for what felt like ages. The repetition of his knock no longer echoed through the overgrown pastures. The warmth of the newly baked cookies was depleting fast, leaving the chill of the fall season to leak onto his flesh. Numbing it just slightly. This whole task seemed pointless to him. Not only was it resulting in him standing in the cold weather, but, with Stardew Valley being as small as it is, personal introductions such as these aren't really necessary. Goodies are not needed to make an impression, how be it polite, it's not meaningful. You make your acquaintances at festivals, or perhaps at the market if you're the type who needs to rely on others for survival. He shouldn't be one to judge, he does so as well; but so many are self sufficient in the rural town, a belief that is engrained from birth happens to be one on mass produced goods, and them being practically spawns of the devil himself.

With a sigh, his breath clouding before him, a sign that the first frost is soon to come, a shame for this nameless newcomer, whoever they are won't have much time to plant, he turns on his heels. The motion not holding the grace or ease that so many can obtain. Rather, it's split and jagged. Almost as if he had stumbled over his own feet in the process. He's always been clumsy with his movements. Sam used to love that about him. But, Sam isn't here to love that anymore. All that's left is for others to judge. Such a train of thought would normally spiral out of control, sending him sobbing into his pillow, clutching the small box close to his heart. And, though he felt the wave of crushing sadness starting to settle over him, it was shattered when the door creaked open. The sound seemed to pierce the silent ecosystem, and it frightened him, sending him sprawling around to face the possible danger, his natural instincts kicking in, only for him to freeze in place as his gaze settles on the young woman before him. Swallowing thickly, he scans her as all do when they first encounter a new person; she's short, but certainly intimidating enough to make him pause before approaching her further. Her hazel eyes are cold, protected- the sparks of deep green reminding him of the forests in summer. When the canopies of green are so lush they block out all the sunlight. All the warmth- and they're staring straight at him. A single one of her burnette eyebrows raised, a questioning look, a bent arm supporting her as she leisurely leans against the crooked doorway, the other is propped on her hip. The smug expression of mystery adorning her blunt yet delicate features intoxicating to him- "hello?" The voice drags him roughly from his investigate trance, and he snaps to attention, his head shaking as of to clear his mind, a few stray strands of hair falling messily over his eyes. A flip of his hand, and they're pushed aside, revealing the pain written on his face. He doesn't even attempt to regain his smile, "hello?" She asks again, the annoyance in her tone clearer than before.

"Oh- hi, sorry, must've drifted off there," it's obvious she isn't buying his half witted excuse, but she gives a small shrug of her shoulders- Broad, accentuating her workers build, a farmer indeed- strangely, the movement is different than what he's used to. Here, the arms are far more involved, bending upwards, palms facing the sky. Still, the message is conveyed. His words don't need a response, "my," stammering, he continued, "my mother made you these. They might taste like spoiled milk for all I know, she never bakes. She must want to make a good impression."  he says, trying to get her to speak again.

The expression of confusion that drifts across her face makes one of his own appear, as he hands off the plate of cookies, "I already met your mother. Two days ago. She said she has a son, who I'm guessing is you. Talked you up a ton, if you are in fact, /Sebby/, she must've just wanted us to meet as well.".

"That sounds like my mother," he mumbles under his breath, stuffing his hands into his pockets with a begrudged air about him, "I should go. See you around, I guess."

"It's a small town," with that, he walked off. His heart hammering in his chest, but not from fear. From an emotion he knows all too well. What did he get himself into?