Effects

His parents are worried. Well, his mother is worried. Whether or not his so called father cares of his deteriorating state is beyond his knowledge, he assumes the man doesn't. He never did pay much mind to the raven haired boy who he was supposed to pour at least some of his time and effort into. Maru was all he spent his energy on. She was all that mattered. The golden child. The one who succeeds. She has a true future. She'll make their family proud. She'll be the one that will be remembered in his parents dying moments. Not him. She's the favorite, to both of them. It's as simple as that. To such an extreme point that he thought his mother would ignore him after the tragedy struck. Check on him once or twice, but never have the concern that she does now. It must be her maternal instincts that are keeping her in this. God all but knows that he's been difficult.

Sulking isn't even the right word for it. He sulked before. Now, he wastes away. Sympathy is there, but it's thinning. Not once was he confronted by Demetrius, and though his mother's visits to the basement are common occurrences, they're spaced. Depleting. Fading fast like the very essence of Sam's life onto the cold, hard ground. Or, in this case, the warm hazel colored wood flooring.

Her separation from the mess in the basement is warranted. It's been three months since the accident, and his motivation hasn't returned at all. Not just normal motivation to do dull things like read and partake in his once fulfilling activities. But, even the most needed of human tasks. His meals are left cold and untouched at the dinner table, and they meet the same fate once his weary mother brings them down the creaking staircase. He'll look at her with his clouded eyes, tear stained and red, and take the plate.
But, ultimately, the contents will just end up in the bin. He doesn't need the nutrients anyway. What's the point of prolonging his life when he hasn't the light at the end of the tunnel?

All he saw that was good in his future was Sam. They were going to get married. No longer was such a notion just talk as they gazed at the clear, clear sky. It was going to be real. It was going to be real that very night. The night that his whole life ended.

Well, they weren't going to get married that  night. Sam knew that Sebastian wanted his family there with him, for even his cynical replacement father approved of the man. But, their courtship was coming to an end. When his body was taken by the police that were directed to their path when they never checked into their hotel, the ones that found him sobbing above a deformed corpse, they found in his pocket, a box. Inside, of course, a ring. Not a frilly diamond one, or even one of gold or silver. But a band made of black quartz. It was stunning. And perfect. Made just for someone like him. Now, though, he'll never get to wear it. He'll never be wed to the only one he'll ever love. They'll never have that house, the one with window boxes and black shutters. They'll never have children, or their two dogs that existed in their fanatical future. All he'll ever have is the crushing silence of being alone.