Chapter 1

Love. Pure love has no expectations. Her mother had always said.

Restless,Urmila could not sleep or think,for that matter. The day's events had occured so quickly. Just the previous day at this hour,she and Lakshman were seated on the swing just outside their chambers talking,laughing after a long day of preparing for the coronation.It seemed years ago to her.

Sumitra Ma was by her side,holding her hand. Urmila could not process things clearly. Her husband had gone with Ram bhayya and Sita didi to fulfill his duties as a brother.  Fouteen years of exile in the forest......Yes,he had told her that his devotion to his brother would never be diminished nor would his love for her.He had assured time would fly by and soon they would be together.He had begged her forgiveness.She had said he never hurt her for her to forgive him.She had understood .But he had promised he would be with her at all times...She shook her head. Ma was right,she thought. Love should have no expectations. She respected his decision. Before she could ask him to take her with him, he had drawn her in an embrace,kept a finger to her lips. 

" No, Mila. You cannot come. I am going to protect Ram bhayya and Sita bhabi. If you come,my main focus would be on you. Your protection would become my first priority."

Urmila had chosen silence. She knew she had to stay back.She would serve her husband by staying back. She had looked at him for the last time, her eyes moist.His eyes reflected her love. He tucked a strand of hair behind her ears,caressing her face,leaned down and touched his lips to hers."Forgive me,Mila." was all he could say.

Urmila had held on to her husband.Biting back all the sorrow,self pity, she had  told him"There is nothing to forgive. I respect what you are doing. I am proud to have a husband who would go to all lengths for his brother. I love you,Lakshman" 

"Be strong for me,Urmila. I will come back soon,it all will be gone in a blink. I failed you as a husband.." his voice stopped abruptly as he felt a constriction in his throat. Urmila looked up at her slightly taller,stronger better half.

" No" she replied her voice slightly shaking. "You have never failed as a husband. We donot have much time,Lakshman. Look after my sister and jiju. Look after yourself. I feel that didi would be more safe with you and jiju both around."

She kissed his cheek,standing on her tip toes,pressing a small pearl in his hands." I love you"

He took the small pearl,smiling. " I love you too,my Mila". He gave her a brief hug. She turned away as tears coursed down her face.  She heard her love leave. A second later she  collapsed on the bed. She had to be strong. She wiped away her tears.

Now, in Sumitra Ma's chambers she heard that the King was seriously ill. Ma Kaushalya was inconsolable. Ma Sumitra was a quiet woman. Apart from telling Lakshman he had done the right thing and comforting Kaushalya, she had hugged Urmila telling her to be strong. Urmila had always loved Ma Sumitra the most out of her three mother in laws. All the women folk except Kaikeyi were in Kaushalya's chamber. King Dasharath lay there moaning for his Rama,cursing Ma Kaikeyi and Manthara.He spoke incoherent words. He kept saying things about the curse. He had gone blind. A surge of sorrow coursed through Urmila to see her father in law helpless and mad in grief. She blinked back tears, comforting Ma Kaushalya,her eyes fixed on the restless form of the king. 

Ma Sumitra too had lost her calm. She was weeping. A few hours later, the mighty King of Ayodhya was no more. Bharat and Shatrughan were called back without being informed about  their father's demise. Kaikeyi was informed of the death. Lakshman! And Ram Jija! Urmila thought suddenly,they would be devasted by the news, so would Sita didi.Her eyes fell on the weeping Kaikeyi. Kaikeyi loved her husband, but her greed for the throne to be given to her son had blinded her love. It was now that she  became aware of her misdeeds. At first,she had refused to believe her husband's death but when she saw the body she went mad with grief. On top of that, Ma Kaushalya's blame on her for King Dashrath's death and her son's exile rubbed salt on Kaikeyi's wounds. But still she seemed to hold on for her son,Bharat to come. 

After the body had been preserved for Bharat and Shatrughan to arrive, Ma Sumitra was her quiet self. She told to Urmila"Bharat would never take the throne like this."  

Urmila agreed. The bond between the brothers was extraordinary. Ma Kaikeyi mourned. But she looked forward to the coronation of her son that would never happen. The whole of Ayodhya was in mourning. They blamed Kaikeyi for the King's death and for their beloved Shri Rama's exile, for Lakshman's selfless sacrifice. 

All Urmila felt for Ma Kaikeyi was not anger or bitterness but pity. She was shunned  by her husband and the next day would be scorned by her own son for whom she did all these devious plans,but little did the proud Kaikeyi realise the effect of her actions on the whole of Ayodhya most of all her own son, Bharat.The storm was yet to come.

Urmila closed her eyes from exhaustion. The upcoming days would be more exhausting.She had to be strong. Sleep would not come. Mila, your Lakshman loves you, she heard him saying. She smiled. Hope would get her through this.

* Hello! This is my first time writing fanfiction. I thought to highlight Urmila's sacrifice which has gone almost unnoticed in  Ramayana. I would appreciate if anyone points my mistakes. Hope you enjoyed reading as much as I enjoyed writing.