Chapter 14

* The people in Treta Yuga (5114 BC) led a healthy lifestyle and thrived closer to nature. Perhaps this was the reason they lived for centuries together. Or the years calculated then and now might differ. But there are evidences that can prove the longevity of our ancestors. Considering that Sri Rama and his brothers lived for almost 10,052 years (that seems outright ridiculous to most). But as we can't prove it to be wrong or right, I am sticking with that.

* And there are many stories that involve the death of Urmila before Lakshman's or vice versa but there is a statement in Shloka 99 of Valmiki Ramayan  that there was no widow in Ram Rajya. That suggests that either Lakshman died after Urmila or they both died together. The latter is adopted into a Yakshagana performance,( Rama Niryana) A dance form developed in Uttara Karnataka. 

Centuries had passed by and the royal  children had grown into fine men. The Rajmatas were no longer alive. Ayodhya had improved so much over time.It was the time when women were held with high respect,people were benevolent, knew and followed ethics. Ayodhya has prospered under their King Ram. One particular evening, Lakshman was sleeping on Urmila's lap in their private chambers. " Our duties are over,Mila" he said his eyes closed.

" Mmm" She hummed. She was reading a book.

" You have finished all the books ever written" he said mildly irritated. He snatched the book away. She smiled. " What is it?" 

" I said our time is almost over" he repeated caressing her face.

" Yes. It will be like going back to sleep after a long day" she chuckled.

"You are the only person who chuckles when you speak of death" he said amused.

" There is nothing to fear,Lakshman. We have finished everything. Our children have grown up and can look after themselves. Ayodhya will be in good hands. Everything is so beautiful and right that I can't help but think that death too will be peaceful." She said drawing  circles on his palm.

" Maybe" he said softly getting up.

" I just have one fear. I cannot live a day without you, Lakshman" She said cupping his face. He tried to say something but no voice came out. He wrapped his arms around her tightly. " Nor can I, Mila. Let's not talk about it. We donot have any work this evening. Let's do something different" He said tucking a strand of her hair behind her ear.

They went out riding, played Chaupar, and talked late into the night. Lakshman yawned. " It is quite late. You won't reach the court in time tomorrow if we don't sleep now" she said pulling him on the bed. His lips captured hers slowly dancing against each other. " I can't get enough of you" he rasped. She continued the kiss, her fingers slipping into his locks.  " I love you,Lakshman" she whispered. " I love you too" he said with a final kiss,taking her in his arms. 

The next morning, as predicted,Lakshman woke up late. He had rolled to the other side of the bed in his sleep. He sprinted across the room to get ready. Urmila was still asleep. He smiled affectionately. They had slept very late yesterday. Pressing a kiss to the back of her head he went out in a hurry. It was only one hour later that day when the court heard a high pitched scream. Ram looked stunned. He got up and walked swiftly to the interiors of the palace. His brothers followed close behind. Shrutkirti ran past them outside  before any of them could ask her about the dreadful scream. Shatrughan followed her outside. Mandavi looked ashen as she led the brothers inside to Urmila's chambers. " She is not waking up"

Lakshman looked at Mandavi" Of course.She is tired. We slept very late. Don't wake her up."

" She is not waking up" Mandavi said in a high voice. Just then the royal physician rushed inside and felt Urmila's breath and pulse. Lakshman could not process what was going on. " She is alright!" He roared pushing aside the physician.He dropped on his knees next to the bed. He slightly caressed her face" Wake up,Mila". She did not budge. He rubbed her hands trying to make them warm," Mila,wake up. Just once and go back to sleep again." He tried to feel her pulse but could not find any. He slightly shivered.