3 - FACT OR FICTION

CHAPTER WARNING: Mild Language

◊ ◊ ◊

Michonne sat with her head down against the cool metal of the table in front of her. She was hot, but that was nothing in the sense of new. She took slow deep breaths, wondering if the air blowing down the back of her neck might've been some kind of fever dream she had dreamed up. It reminded her so much of normal. Of the world she had long ago parted ways with. There was a bright gleam in her eyes, as the door across from her opened and closed back. She analyzed him, raking her brain in preparation for anything that might come next.

Nick Fury stood with his arms folded in front of him.

"Ma'am," he greeted her with a nod.

She responded with a confused look at his formalities, although her gaze stayed in place. She was still unaware of his motives, as well as his need to usher her around like a prisoner. The lights didn't flicker and they didn't appear to be using lamps like her community had in the past. They even had working air conditioning.

Maybe they have solar power, or maybe it's another community like Alexandria, she wondered.

Not only that, but the pressed suit the man wore was ironed neatly and not a thread was out of place. She found herself glancing down at her own appearance, now conscious of what situation life had granted her. Sweat hung on her like rain drops, her hair was dirty, and her shoes were so worn that she had to duct tape them back to one piece. Still, she felt fortunate somehow.

"Sorry for all of this, but I'd like to ask you a few questions," he took a seat in the metal chair across from her. His apology seemed misplaced to her, given she was in confinement. Something about him seemed off, aside from him only having one eye. She'd already encountered a one-eyed psychopath, she hoped he would not be her second.

Michonne had no words to describe her own confusion. She did not hide her curiosity as she looked him up and down, taking note of his civilized mannerisms.

"The name's Nick. Nick Fury," he said, being so kind as to slide her his identification badge. After glancing at the badge, she finally took it in her hands. She pried it open and examined it herself rather than simply taking his word for it. It seemed silly to her but it matched what he said.

"I operate as head of this agency," He referred to the building they were in with his eye roaming the four walls they sat within.

"It's my job to investigate scenarios like the one you and your friends have posed for me and my team. I specialize in a lot of weird events," He urged to clarify given her confused look.

"Forgive me if I seem to be overreacting, but six hours ago, the community we found you in popped up out of thin air in the center of rural New York. I don't know about you, but from where I come from, that's weird. Three hours later the three of you appeared on our radar."

Michonne didn't bother responding, she had been too confused to even piece together some semblance of sense from his proposed scenario.

"Now you wanna tell me how something like that happens?"

"I'm not sure what you mean?" She paused, "New York?" She whispered to herself.

We were in Virginia... she thought.

"Where's Rick?" She suddenly perked up, heart pounding against her chest.

"And Daryl?" She figured she must've been losing her mind. She wondered if she was hallucinating.

"Your friends are safe. I've placed them in separate units until we get this all sorted out."

"Sorted out? I'm sorry but we've got to go."