CHAPTER FIVE: RED DAWN PART II

The sound of birds chirping fills my ears as I lay silently with my eyes closed.  The sun's rays beaming down on my face giving my skin warmth.  My breathing is shallow, and for once I feel serene since the events of last night.  

My mouth opens to take a sharp inhale of breath as I shoot up opening my eyes wide.  My hands frantically search my body for stab wounds, but there is no new marks on my skin.  My white sweater is now a brownish hue from the dried blood.  I push myself off of the forest floor and wipe my hands against my denim skirt to remove the dirt from my palms.   My hazel eyes glance around me taking in my surroundings.  I'm behind the girls cabin give or take a few feet.  I might as well enter it in hopes of seeing at least one of my friends.

My feet carry me towards the back door of the red wooden exterior cabin.  I realize now, too, my feet are no longer sore from all the running I did last night.  None of this is making any sense.  

I reach for the hinge on the door and pull it open to reveal everyone with the exception of Brooke and Trevor.  Xavier and Chet are too engrossed with their conversation to notice me enter the cabin.  Ray, Montana, and Harrison are seated in front of the tv watching some stupid show.  It's Sloane who rushes over to me and embraces me into a tight hug, which causes the rest to turn around to face me.

I hug Sloane back as the others begin to walk towards us.  None of which are smiling.  I pull away from my brunette friend to lose my own smile to be replaced by a look of concern.

"Why does everyone look like they've seen a ghost?"  I joke in hopes of lightening whatever mood seems to be encompassing the group.

Montana stifles a laugh as Harrison pinches her on her side to get her to stop.

"About that."  Ray begins as he scratches the nape of his neck.  "If you're here that means you are a ghost, or something, who can't leave just like the rest of us."

"I know, it's weird to process--"  Xavier tries to talk, but I hastily cut him off with the raise of my hand.

"It actually makes a lot of sense.  That bitch Margaret stabbed me thanks to the Night Stalker, and I woke up in the woods with no stab wounds or anything."  I say reasonably calm given the situation.  Of course I'm not okay with the concept of being dead.  Who would be?  But I knew what my fate would be the second Margaret put that knife in my chest.  "Where's Brooke?"  I try to change the subject so I don't have to think about this any longer.

Montana rolls her eyes.  "Who fucking cares.  She killed me."

I tilt my head in disbelief while uttering a 'what' unable to believe Brooke could ever murder someone.  She seemed so innocent and the quiet girl type.  Maybe the events of last night tricked her mind into believing Montana was someone else.

"I saw her get put into a cop car.  They think she killed everyone here."  Ray explains with a saddened voice, which causes Montana to roll her eyes once more.

Sloane rolls her eyes, too.  "Boring."  She deadpans as she crosses her arms over one another.  "We're dead.  Whatever happens to her is none of our concern."  She twists her red painted lips into a smirk.  "I say we party.  I mean, there's no kids, no Margaret Booth and her Jesus shit.  We can do whatever the fuck we want."

Ray is about to object, but I get a word in first.  "Sloane's right.  We no longer have to play by anyone's rules."

I look amongst my friends.  They all share looks of excitement as they realize what Sloane and I are saying is true.  Montana walks over to the radio and turns it on.  The music blasts throughout the cabin, and I elicit a smile.  I dance-walk over to the cooler with all of the beers we abandoned and pull one out.  I grab another one before stalking my way towards Xavier.  He lets out a chuckle at my dance moves as he shakes his head.  I hand him the beer can, and he opens the tab with ease.  A hiss escaping the can as he does so.  Feeling bold, I take his free hand into my own forcing him to spin me.  When I face him again, I look down at our entwined fingers and begin to trace circles on his soft skin with my thumb.