Chapter Four

Day one.

Wednesday.

I got up at seven a.m. I didn't really know what to wear, as I'd never been golfing before, but I decided to dress comfortable. We would be outside, and the weather was fairly hot. So I put on a sleeveless work-out shirt with some yoga pants and tennis shoes. I wasn't going bare-faced, though, so I applied a very light layer of makeup.

At around 7:40, I left my temporary bedroom and ventured into the kitchen. Nicola, Sam, and Paddy were there.

"Oh good morning, Emily," Mrs. Nicola said when she saw me. "Would you like some tea?"

"No, thank you," I said and took a seat at the bar by Sam.

"Have you ever been golfing?" He asked me.

"No," I laughed. "Golf isn't very big back in America."

"So you have no idea how to play?" He asked with an incredulous expression.

"No, I haven't the slightest," I replied. He seemed shocked at that, but then his face broke into a grin.

"Hear that, mum? That means you won't be last this time!"

Mrs. Nicola only rolled her eyes with a smile at that, but I objected, saying, "Hey, just because I've never played doesn't mean that I'll be last."

"Maybe not if Tom gives you a couple pointers before the match," Paddy said.

Just then, Tom walked in and Sam jumped from his seat, exclaiming, "Tom, did you know that your fiancé has never played golf before?"

"She's an American, Sam," Tom said, then looked at me with a smirk. "She hasn't had the pleasure of experiencing great English things such as golf."

"Well, I guess that all changes today," I replied with a giggle.

"I guess so," Tom smiled, then leaned in and gave my cheek a little peck.

He kissed me.

He kissed me.

I tried my best not to act shocked or delighted or overwhelmed or confused, but I wasn't successful, so I decided to say, "I'll wait for you all outside; I need some fresh air."

I grinned at Tom over my shoulder as I walked out, as to make some reaction to the kiss, but I saw in his expression that he was troubled.

I sat down on the small swing they had on their front porch. I shouldn't have been so surprised; we were pretending to be engaged. Normal engaged couples kissed every once in a while, at least. I should've seen this coming. But I didn't. Quite frankly, I didn't even realize that this could be a possibility. Tom Holland just kissed me.

Soon, they all joined me outside and we drove to the golf course. Nicola set up a tent on the grass and under it she set out a whole breakfast feast. We ate before we played. There were waffles, pancakes, jellies, jams, strawberries, blueberries, grapes, toast, eggs, bacon, and so much more to choose from. I, for one, ate like there was no tomorrow.

Once everyone was finished, Dominic announced that it was time to begin the match. That was when Tom was reminded by Sam that I was completely inexperienced and needed mega-help.

Of course, Tom agreed to give me a couple pointers, because, well, he was my "fiancé."

After about fifteen minutes of talking, I got the gist of it, and was dubbed first to go. I stepped up to the putter and got my club. I needed to get the ball as far as I could without hitting it out of bounds. I tried to concentrate, but couldn't focus, as Tom was breathing down my neck, repeating, "Don't mess up!"