Chapter 5 - The Getaway

The second and last Monday that Chris was scheduled to be in D.C. was a federal holiday. His conference was programmed to end at noon on Friday. He broached the subject of her going with him as he traveled to sight see in Annapolis. "I have a whole list of ideas Sonja. You pick one day and I'll pick the other and we will spend Monday shopping at the Market House. Please consider it Sonja."

"Okay Christopher leave me the list."

Sonja had never seen this Chris LaSalle -- the shy boy who had loved only two women in his whole life. She read the material with interest later that night then jetted him a text, 'Let's do it'.

Sonja's current life had given her pause. She was a little apprehensive about the weekend until Chris dropped offed the contact information of the lodging for her nanny. She thanked him that evening, but it was only after he left that the tears began to fall. He had made reservations for them in housing at the Naval Academy. The grounds were a totally 'secure facility.' She could let her guard down and feel completely safe as she slept.

The weekend came quickly. Chris had already packed up his hotel room and arrived just after 1 p.m. He walked toward Jayden's school an hour later. Jayden was super surprised to see his new best friend heading his way. He ran and hugged LaSalle and took his hand to walk with him.

Sonja had already sat her suitcase by the trunk of the car. LaSalle opened the trunk and snickered as Jayden tried unsuccessful to place it in the trunk. He finally allowed LaSalle to help him.

Chris walked Jayden into the house and helped to make a sandwich and to pour some juice after he placed his weapon into Sonja's safe. "Wait Mr. LaSalle" he said as he ran to the door. "Thank you for coming and thank you for making my mommy smile!"

LaSalle could barely stifle his own tears. He realized that he should have been the one thanking Jayden for bringing Sonja back into his life. Traffic was a little challenging as they headed toward Annapolis. Fortunately, it was only a short drive from Sonja's home even in the horrific D.C. traffic.

"So, did you make plans for us tonight?"

"Well, sure I did. Do you want to eat first or get a massage?"

"I think that my shoulders could use a workout, how about you" she asked?

"That's fine I just want you to feel rested. They both took a quick shower after their sessions and headed to the Mess. Sonja was surprised that they were eating on the installation.

"Look lady, some of the best chefs in the world are trained by the military." He was certainly right. The dishes were spectacular. Sonja wasn't sure where he put all of the food.

The rooms weren't too shabby either. Chris had gotten them a two-bedroom cottage on the Academy grounds. The steward had come in while they were at dinner and turned their beds down. Saturday morning they got up and headed to the recreation facility and got their work outs in then headed toward their first tourist site after they showered.

LaSalle took a deep breath once they were in the car. He thought back to the decade before when he relished smelling Sonja's shampoo first thing in the morning. Tammy had been right when she found out that he was coming to D.C. His mind and his heart were flooded with memories of Sonja Percy's assignment with NCIS New Orleans.

Their first stop was at the Banneker -Douglas Museum. Sonja had read an assortment of information about the Museum which was dedicated to preserving Maryland's African American heritage. The museum was named for  Benjamin Banneker and Fredrick Douglas.

Themuseum consisted of the contributions of famous African American Marylandresidents including , Benjamin Banneker, Kunta Kinte, Frederick Douglass, Harriett Tubman, Matthew Henson, James Pennington and Thurgood Marshall. Other exhibits include black life in Maryland,and African and African American art.  The facility also served as the state's official repository of African American material culture. The museum also has a library and archives.