Chapter 11 - The Faith Walk

It was to be an awkward conversation that afternoon, but Chris LaSalle wouldn't believe it even after it happened. Emma's grandmother sent word thru her that she would like to speak with him face to face. Chris headed that way after breakfast.

"Thank you, Mr. Lasalle, for coming. I really don't know where to start this conversation, so I'll just come to the point. I'm dying Mr. LaSalle. I have a year to live. I went to the doctor Thursday for the results of my last physical exam and they found I have Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease."

LaSalle was stunned. "I don't what to say Mrs. Mc Donald. I'm so sorry."

"Well thank you. I need to make arrangements for Emma and this house. She spends more time at your home than ours when your wife is there. I was wondering if you two would consider taking her."

"Well, what about her mother" LaSalle asks with a surprised look on his face?

"I have no idea where that woman is! She brought Emma to visit her father when the baby was five months old and never came back. Steven was able to get what they call a compassionate stabilization tour and then went into the Reserves. After I relocated here, he bought this house knowing that if he got deployed as a reservist, he would return to D.C. He lucked out a year after I got here to get a full-time Reserve billet. While he had deployed two other times before his passing, we always knew he would come back to us here."

"That girl loves Jayden. They have been best buddies since we moved here and the started preschool together. No one needs to tell me when your wife is home because Emma is suddenly gone."

"Well my wife is away right now. I usually have no way to contact her, but I will talk it over with her as soon as she returns" Chris tells her.

Three weeks later a weary Sonja Percy called her husband at his office. "Do you think you can get away Country Mouse? I'm beat. I'll land at BMI at 6:25.

"I would think so honey. Chris replies. I'll see you then."

Chris LaSalle immediately called his nanny. "Yes, Mrs. Johnson, he's been wanting to see that movie. Mrs. LaSalle and I will be long asleep by the time the two of you get back." LaSalle's next call was to his wife's favorite eatery. He still held his nose up to most of her favorites, but he was always open to a good hoagie sandwich for himself. La Salle made a quick dash home and then headed toward BMI.

They were both thankful for the on-time arrival. She was traveling light today. After a quick peck on the lips, LaSalle took Sonja's weekender and headed for the parking lot. He picked her up at the exit door closest to the baggage claim area where she had retrieved her weapon.

"Are you hungry, honey" he asked?

"Who knows? I don't even know what time zone I'm in" she replied.

"Well, I ordered a quick something from Cosi's for the both of us."

A quick smirk immediately came to Sonja's face. She knew her husband hated that place. She kindly asked what he was buying for himself realizing it could only be one of two items on their menu. "Of course, I ordered a hoagie with all the meats. Jayden and Mrs. Johnson are at the movies" he stated. "When we get to the house, why don't you grab a quick shower or get in the tub and I'll have your suitcase unpacked when you get out."

Both of the LaSalles had learned the value of unpacking their suitcase after they returned from a trip abroad. One never knew which, if any, hitchhikers there were aboard. Sonja particularly hated scorpions and one or two had found their way into her luggage.

While Sonja was charmed when she walked through the doorway of their bedroom and saw the card table beautifully attired, her 'radar' immediately came up. One of these two males in this house has done something she guessed.