2.0

"Lukey, I smell pizza

"Lukey, I smell pizza." I sung out once I picked up the familiar aroma, hearing Luke shuffle around in the back seat of his car.

He groaned in vexation, "It's not, that's just my breath." Luke said in a dismissive tone, before I hear him climb back in next to me, the engine roaring and hauling us back onto the road.

I giggle at his comment, leaning my head against the window, or rather, attempting to. My eyesight was concealed by a thick bandana that Luke insisted I wore, and I was giddy to see where we were headed to. I felt uneasy, considering that this was our first proper date after 8 years of knowing each other.

I knew it was foolish of me to, because we were starting to become perhaps too comfortable with each other. Yesterday morning, Luke went to the bathroom with the door open, and there wasn't even an ounce of discomfort, we just exchanged words without effort. That's what made me question our status, and I wondered if we were ever going to get out of this constant state of oblivion in our relationship. Most importantly, I ached to see what was inside of Luke's head.

I was aware that he wanted to take things leisurely and I respected that, but when we were to the point of bathroom chats, that deserved clarification.

It didn't even faze me until recently, and it wasn't like I need a spectacular gesture from him because if we were being honest, he was the spectacular gesture.

"What do you miss most about home?" Luke asked softly after a few minutes of silence, intertwining our hands and caressing his thumb along the side of my hand.

I pondered deeply over the question, taking my lip between my teeth as I stare out into a black abyss, "It's easier to exist here," I blurted, Luke humming in agreement, "In L.A, there's a certain way people want to be portrayed, and I don't want to participate in that. I came here to learn about myself and learn about people for what they truly consist of, not questioning their worthiness of my time due to their following on Instagram. People glamorize themselves to the point where they begin to lose their identities, and everyone just morphs into one another. Being in Australia makes me realize how fortunate I was to be raised the way I was, and to stay true, no matter how deep of a hole I dig for myself in L.A."

It wasn't that I disliked L.A, because I moved there for a purpose. I enjoyed the blazing sun I got to be under for the majority of the year, and the colorful people I got to interact with everyday, but a lot don't see that as a privilege. It's substantial to make sure that every being matters, and I think people lose touch of that when they're consistently trying to one-up another, or think there's always someone out to spite them.

I could practically hear Luke's smile on his face by the way his next sentence came out, "You've got the most beautiful fucking soul in the world, Vi, it disgusts me." He scoffs, squeezing my hand soothingly.

"I know, it's really hard being this awesome, it's kind of exhausting." I feigned a sigh, fanning a hand against my face.

Luke snickered, "Well that must mean I have at least a little bit of awesome in me, if you choose to spend your time with me?"