Can't We Be 17?

Can't We Be 17?

henclair

“You know what’s wild?” Dustin asked, looking up at the sky. Lucas looked at his boyfriend quizzically.

“What?” He asked.

“We’re 7 fucking teen Lucas. We’re 17.” He said in amazement. Lucas rolled his eyes, wasn’t very wild to him. Dustin rolled his head to the side, now looking at Lucas instead of the sky. It was a prettier view in his opinion.

“That’s not all Lukey.” Dustin said, snickering when Lucas cuffed him for the nickname. “We’re in love. Like we’re really in love.” He said it with the same amazement and wonder in his tone as before. Lucas’s breath hitched and he averted his gaze quickly, not waiting to see the large toothy grin Dustin usually wore that made his heart turn upside down.

“We’re 17 and in love and that just,” Dustin paused to chuckle, “fuck, it really, it’s really so wild!” He exclaimed, Lucas could feel heat burning his cheeks. The boys had of course exchanged many hurried “I Love You” mumbles but this was just so open, and Lucas could hear the love in his boyfriend’s voice.

“We’re so free Lando, don’t you just feel so unexplainably amazed because we’re 17, in love and we really have so much freedom.” Dustin threw his arms in the air, falling back with a thud onto the grassy hill they were sitting on.

“Yeah, yeah.” Lucas said, cheeks still burning, brushing off what the other boy had said. Dustin looked up at him and winked, making Lucas go into a catatonic state where all he could feel was the burning of his cheeks.

“Come on Lando,” He nudged Lucas, “say it.” Lucas snorted.

“Say what?” He asked, briefly shaking himself out of the frozen, lovestruck state.

“Say we’re in love.” Dustin said simply, sticking his tongue out at the boy above him. Lucas shrugged and spoke quickly.

“Okay.” He paused for a bit. “We’re in love.” Lucas said simply, but it seemed to make Dustin lose it because all of a sudden the boy’s cheeks were red and he was breathlessly smiling up to the sky. Lucas smiled down in amazement at how the words had affected his boyfriend.

“We’re really in love.” Dustin mumbled, laughing and shaking his head. “Lando and Han, really in love!” He had devolved into a fit of giggles now, rolling around on the grass, getting dirt in his hair and kicking up dirt onto Lucas.

“God, what’s gotten into you today?” Lucas asked laughing, his tone was light and joking. Dustin just grinned more, and even wider than his boyfriend thought was possible. Lucas was smiling now too, unable to contain the pure affection he felt for his curly haired boy.

“I don’t know!” Dustin exclaimed, sitting up. “I just know that I really love you!” He said. The two were looking eye to eye now, both having grown quite a bit and become fairly lanky, but never becoming unequal in their heights.

“I love you too Han.” Lucas said grinning, with a roll of his eyes. Dustin made a noise of happiness and leaned in, taking Lucas by surprise and kissing him.

Lucas leaned into the kiss, his hands automatically finding their place on Dustin’s hips and squeezing tightly. Dustin nearly purred into the touch, his mouth opening as he placed his own hands on Lucas’s shoulders and moved in closer. Lucas pressed his tongue into Dustin’s mouth, running over the short teeth in the front and mapping out the mouth he knew well from hours of skipped D&D sessions. Dustin pressed back slightly with his own tongue, but soon felt content to let Lucas take the lead this time and just grin dopily, opening his mouth wider and pressing his lips more firmly into the ones against his own.

Lucas licked the roof of Dustin’s mouth, making his boyfriend giggle at the tickle. Their noses bumped together a bit, always chasing the perfect kissing angle every time they did this.

They knew this well, so when Dustin hauled Lucas by his shoulders to press even closer, Lucas knew that he had a bit more to go before they would spend hours lazily kissing. And he was pretty sure they had places to be.

So, Lucas pulled away, breathing for a moment.

“We should go meet the others.” He mumbled into Dustin’s lips, Dustin frowning and pressing small kisses to Lucas’s lips, not letting go. Lucas sighed and kissed back, but refused to deepen the kiss even when Dustin tried.

“I was serious.” He said, now fully pulling away from their kiss, but still with a ghost of a smile playing on his lips. Dustin rolled his eyes, but got up, pulling Lucas with him. Lucas stumbled and glared at his boyfriend who had yanked him unceremoniously onto his feet. The two walked down to their bikes and got on, not pedaling away just yet.

Lucas leaned over and pressed a quick kiss to Dustin’s lips, attempting to makeup for abruptly ending their kiss. Dustin grinned a small grin and pulled away.

“You said we had to go!” He said in a mock accusatory tone. Lucas held his hands up innocently.

“Hey! I was just making up for leaving you hanging before!” He joked, now fully situating himself on his bike, Dustin snickered and started pedaling away slowly.

“What time?” He asked jokingly, Lucas just laughing and shaking his head at his boyfriend. Dustin and Lucas always seemed to be interrupted when they kissed. Luckily it was usually by their friends who were all very accepting, but notably one time they were caught by the school janitor. That prompted a few interesting phone calls home.

“Hey, first one to the Byers’ house gets to give the other a hickey.” Dustin said. A competitive grin spread over his face and Lucas frowned, biking to catch up.

“I hate getting hickies!” He said, now really pedaling as Dustin had a lead by a lot. “That’s not fair!” He called out to his retreating boyfriend. Dustin just laughed.

“Guess you better hurry up then Lando!” He called to the boy behind him. “If you don’t wanna get marked up by these bad boys.” Lucas couldn’t see Dustin but he knew his boyfriend had just purred.

“You’re serious?” He yelled, catching up but only slightly to the boy racing ahead of him. Dustin just barked out another laugh and cruised down the street they were on. Lucas swore.

“Aw man!”