Chapter 5

Monday morning my phone rings during my walk to school. It's Mikendra.

"Hey girl!" I picked up the phone.

"Hey, so umm where are you?" She asked.

"I am about 15 mins from school. Why?" 

"Ok, just stay away from Markus... Alexa and I overheard a conversation he was having with his buddies." You can hear the pain in her voice.

"What are you talking about?" My heart is in my throat. 

"His buddies told him that he won the bet and that he could break up with you know. Alexa and I were able to get some more info out of them after he left. According to his friends, he was dared to date you, because they thought you were "un-dateable". I am sorry girl,"

"... Thanks for letting me know. I think I am going to call in sick for school today. I will see you tomorrow," With that, I hang up the phone.

I turn around and start walking home. When I walk in the door James looks up from his laptop.

"Hey what are you doing home? Schools about to start," He questions me.

"I am really not feeling well right now... I will catch up tomorrow," And with that, I turn and walk up the stairs to my room.  I close my door and flop down on my bed and burst into tears. I lay there for several minutes when my phone vibrates with a text. It was Markus so I ignored it. A couple of minutes later it vibrates again... Markus... again. I don't even read it. 

At noon I go down for lunch and when I go back up having my brother watch me with worry the whole way up. I close the door and see my phone ringing. I pick it up. 

"Hello," I say faintly

"Hailey! Where are you? Are you ok?"

Oh no, I look at the number. Shit! It was Markus. 

"I don't really want to talk right now," I reply.

"Hails, please tell me that one of your friends did not tell you about what happened before school," Markus' sounded very desperate.

"Yes, but you don't have to bother breaking up with me because I am breaking up with you," I hang up the phone.

A couple of seconds later it rings again.  This time I block him. I bury my head into my pillow and there is a knock on my door. James does not even wait for me to reply before walking in.

"Where you listening to that?" I ask him.

"...No... But if I was I would say you did the right thing. Alexa phoned me just after you got home. She told me what happened and to keep an eye on you. I can not believe that guy right now," James cracks his knuckles.

"James! Don't just don't! Get those thoughts out of your head," I hurry to shut down anything he may be planning right now.

He blinks at me. "How did you know what I was thinking?"

"You only crack your knuckles when you are planning to fight someone, I have seen it too many times," I laugh.

Me and James sit and talk about nothing for the rest of the afternoon.