Chapter 3

My buddy, Frank ran Bobby through the system and found nothing criminal related

My buddy, Frank ran Bobby through the system and found nothing criminal related. His name sounded familiar when Crystal said it and during my own search, I found out he was the former NFL player, Bobby Lashley. A few weeks had gone by and I still hadn't heard from her so I figured it was time to forget about the whole thing and move on.

"I'm sorry if we bothered you," a woman and her son said to me after I posed with them for a selfie.

"Nah, it was no problem," I assured her. Being recognized was part of the territory when it came to being a celebrity.

Imagine my surprise when my phone buzzed just as I got back in my car. I didn't recognize the number but it had to be her because I didn't give my personal cell out very often.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Joe," she spoke on the other end. A few moments of silence pass before I hear sniffling. "I don't know how your WWE schedule works but if you're in town, can you meet me for lunch?"

"You don't sound too good, Crystal..."

"I don't feel too good either," she mumbled. "Anyway, how about the place right across the street from Walgreens at noon."

"Sure," I replied, feeling anxious to see her.

Obviously, Crystal beat me there, already sitting in a corner by the window when I arrived. She waved when she looked up and saw me at the door. "Hey, come on and sit down. I already ordered for us."

"So what's up?" I asked as I took my place in front of her. "You sounded upset when you called."

"Oh, that," she said as if it was no big deal. "Just a hectic day at work."

"That sounded like more than a work related issue..."

"It was," she said firmly, as if she didn't want to be questioned any further. "It's been a minute and I don't know why but you were on my mind today so I decided to hit you up."

"And here I am," the place felt hot like the air conditioning was broken so I rolled up the sleeves of my shirt.

"I thought it was just me," Crystal said, shrugging off her lab coat.

"What's that?" I asked when I noticed the nasty bruise on the inside of her forearm.

She quickly covered it with her hand. Her eyes searched for an excuse. "It's nothing. You work out so I'm sure you know accidents happen all the time at the gym."

"Crystal you know that didn't happen at the gym," I said. "I already suspected it but here's your chance to confirm. Is Bobby putting his hands on you?"

Her lips pressed together as if she didn't want to speak. "It's not an everyday thing."

"It should be a no day thing!" I countered. "You're scared to leave him and I assume you're not going to go down to the station to file a report so at least let me stop by your house and-"