Prolouge (2010)

A/N: This is going to be different. I usually update chapter by chapter but I happened to complete (I mean what else is there to do during quarantine?) this story so I'll just release it all at once. Enjoy...hopefully. 👀😳

━─━────༺༻────━─━

━─━────༺༻────━─━

Long before I arrived, I'd heard and read juvenile detention center horror stories: being jumped, stabbed, some people never made it out alive

Long before I arrived, I'd heard and read juvenile detention center horror stories: being jumped, stabbed, some people never made it out alive. I won't discount those experiences but that didn't happen here. Maybe because most of us shared a common goal of wanting to get the hell out of here which is what I was doing today after serving my year.

Bright and early, I woke and marked an X on the calendar's date. It was weird but I actually felt a pinch of sadness knowing that I was leaving and when I looked up, there was the reason.

"Heard somebody was getting out today," Officer Anoa'i was making his morning rounds and stopped by my door. He was so fine, tall and handsome. According to him, he was half-Samoan, half-Italian. Whatever he was, he was probably the best part of my time here. Despite my experience being okay, this place was still depressing and he was the beacon of light providing hope in the darkness of uncertainty.

"You heard right," I smiled. "Can you give me a ride home?"

"Now you know it would be very inappropriate for me to do that as a guard. I can't," he shook his head. "Where are your people?"

"I already know my mom isn't coming. Not because she doesn't want to but with all my siblings, she probably won't even remember and then it'll take her all day to find a ride down here."

"Do you want to call her?"

"She changes her number too much for me to even know the current one..."

"Give me the last one you remember," he requested, taking his phone out. I recited the digits as he typed and hit speaker. "The number you have reached has been changed, disconnected or no longer in service."

"See..." I said.

"Well, I'm sorry but you're just going to have to figure something out because I can't do it. I'm sure you have a neighbor, distant relative or somebody who can come through," he said, walking off.