week 5

October 30

"Hey, it's Abby-"

"-and Michael!"

"Shut up! Sorry I couldn't get to the phone, leave a message!"

"Beep!"

"Michael, shut up!"

Michael supressed a deep sigh as he licked his lips, his call being declined by you several times now. He was beyond frustrated with you and himself.

"Happy birthday, Abby! This is like my eightieth call since last week? I really hope you'll call me back or pick up the phone. I'm really sorry about everything I said last week, and I'm really sorry I can't be home in time for your birthday. I wish I could, you know that. Anyway, if you're listening to this, I love you and miss you. Please don't be mad."

He hung up the phone after his message had been recorded and rubbed his face with his hands while emitting a groan. The clock on the wall read nine thirty in the morning; it was four thirty in the morning in Sydney.

"Fuck," Michael sighed, slipping his phone into his pocket as he got up and got ready to record.

✱✱✱✱✱✱✱✱✱✱✱

Sunlight crept into the room through the blinds, its warm rays brushing against Abby's cool skin like a feather. She slowly drifted out of her calm slumber, the previous fight with Michael still fresh in her mind. It felt as if a huge weight was pressing her down, holding her down.

Her eyes wandered to the nightstand sitting next to the bed, her phone screen lit up with a mass of unnoticed "happy birthday" text messages and missed phone calls.

"Oh, happy birthday my ass," she grumbled, snatching the device off the charger and quickly typing her passcode.

The only sound in the room was the light tapping of fingers on a screen as Abby replied to all the texts, a variety of emojis filling the bubble as she pressed send. Finally, she faced the phone calls.

"Happy birthday, Abby!" Michael's voice rang through her ears, triggering the ache in her heart. "This is like my eightieth call since last week?"

"Ugh, leave me alone!" Abby groaned to no one in particular, although she hoped Michael could hear her from Sydney while he was in Los Angeles probably having the time of his life.

✱✱✱✱✱✱✱✱✱✱

"But mom-"

"No, Abby, you need to realize that he's right about not being able to be with you on your birthday. As much as you want him there, his excuse is valid and I think you two need to talk things out. He's called you almost a hundred times, for God's sake."

"But mom-"

"No 'buts', Abigail. He obviously loves you and I think you guys are just facing a bump in relationship and the only way it'll be out of your way is if you talk."

"Fine, but don't think I'll enjoy talking to him."

"Abby, give him a chance, you've been together for almost three years; it'd be such a shame to flush it down the drain with something like this."

"Whatever, thanks, Mom. Love you."

"Love you too, Abby. Happy Birthday."

After she had said that I hung up, muttering about how "happy" my birthday was turning out so far. It seemed like everything in the universe was attempting to make my birthday miserable, and as much as I wanted to ignore all my problems and enjoy my day, I couldn't.

✱✱✱✱✱✱✱✱✱✱✱

"Listen, Michael, I just wanted to say that I talked to my mom and I realized it was selfish of me to get mad at you for not being here. I'm really sorry for everything I said and for ignoring your calls and I hope you're doing okay. Um, just call me back when you get this. I love you, no matter what."

/////

im sORRY this update took so long i finished finals and i just needed 2 relax for a bit!! i tried to write a lot but im not sure if its enough yikes but yeah!! feedback is appreciated as always :)