Dance of the Dragons (part III)

Dany managed to sit in front of the sudden departure of her children, doing her best to appear that it was expected, programmed, and that everything was in perfect normality. But when the two dragons of the children appeared like two arrows, almost scraping the Garden railing and the guests, she got up. And Jon did the same.

They walked for a better view of their children and though Jon wasn't talking to her properly, it was instinctive to grab her hand, when he saw the maneuvers Lyanna and Rhaegar were performing.

He did not decline contact. On the contrary. He seemed about to have a slight heart attack while looking at the skies. The way he squeezed Dany's hand back showed that.

The guests made way for both as they searched for the best view.

"May the gods help me, " Jon exclaimed almost inaudibly. "They can fly upside down now" Jon commented, feeling Dany squeeze his arm.

"Did you know about these saddles?" Dany asked, mesmerized, smiling at what they watched, even with their hearts pounding in their chests.

"No," Jon replied. "Did you know about that exaggerated crown?" He asked, frowning a little.

"No. I was as surprised as you. He did not tell me anything. Didn't show me anything" Dany said, watching Jon's reaction.

"Well, he's going to have to explain where the money came from to have it made... that... that... extravagance." Jon said, catching his breath.

Dany wondered where the gold might have come from but said nothing. That was a talk to another time.

"Look at them," Dany said, leaning her head against Jon's shoulder, her voice breaking, her eyes open and alert, watching every movement of their children and their dragons.

Jon passed her in front of his body. And wrapped his arms around her, pushing away any discomfort between them. At least here, as it unfolded in plain sight.

"When I see them like this, our children, part of me and part of you..." Dany tried to say,

Feeling her eyes stinging. "I can only think it was all worth it. Every loss, every decision difficult. Each day of escape and fear. Every tear Viserys and I shed when we sold our mother's crown so we could survive. Worth it. Just to see them like this. Cutting the heavens. Beautiful. Smart. Healthy. In the place to which they belong." Dany continued, Jon's arms tightening around her.

"I wish so many people could be here... to see them now," Jon said, thinking on his father. In what he might see on Eddard Stark's face, if the man who held the biggest secret of an entire kingdom for her sister's sake was there, watching her grandchildren Dragons.

He also thought of Robb. And Rickon. And Bran. And in Maester Aemon, the relative he ignored had been so close to him, teaching him such precious things. He had not forgotten the details of their faces. None. But Dany was right. Everything they went through their journey, unaware of each other's existence but destined to meet as the world seemed to crumble around you, while so many dear people lost, all of it was worth.

Dany was thrilled, laughing at her children playing, Khaleeth's wing scraping the surface of the sea and watering Stormfire.

Rhaego. For a moment, she remembered Rhaego, of the vision of the mighty Dothraki with his Drogo's features and silver hair. A son that was not meant to have been. That was not. But that would always be there, in some vital part of her, reminding her of the pain of losing something so valuable.

She found herself thinking also of Sir Barristan, who had not have lived long enough to be there, but still gone ahead of time, before she could put Rhaegar in his arms.