The Story of The World Around Us

I was inspired by being tired, bored, and wanting to write. Welcome to quarantine. I have no idea what this is, I have no vision for this, let's just see how this will turn out.  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Her hair risked around like a sail hitting the wind for the first time, the brown locks hitting her eyes and lip gloss constantly getting stuck. She cringed whenever the strings hit her in her own face, but nonetheless she continued. Eyes glistening and smile wide, a sense of calmness came over her. Her tan soft skin looking like it's never seen a bad thing in its life, glowing and innocent. 

The city streets dark and lonely was her view, the air warm with the taste of summer. Passing building after building. The stone walls, a perfect faded white, the mold and age clinging to the sides, the tin wire fences and bars on the windows, keeping out the respect of others. As they passed she couldn't help but think of all the stories and people who have lived there. We're they good or bad people? It was no doubt that they were either people of color of drug addicts. She wondered about their values, hopes, and dreams. Did they ever resent having to live in such a place?

Question after question puzzled her head, the need to want more, the wisdom that would set her apart from others.  The optimistic, owl on the outside yearned for more, so much more. She rested her head on the side of the car, the wind still grabbing on to as many pieces of her hair as it can. Like a lover trying to hold on to someone who's already gone. 

The smile fades but the calmness is still there. Content for the life she has, as she feels the car come to a stop, she looks up to the tinted window coming up and blocking her view of the world. She hates that window, the smell of summer is gone and all she is left with is worse than a musty old stone wall. All her calmness leaves her, her insides feeling as if someone took away everything she ever loved. 

And she wakes up, the dream reminding her of a memory that she longed to forget. Her hair all over her face, she pushed the strands away touching her wrinkly, textured skin which screamed, I've seen some shit. She got out of bed and touched around for her whistle. She hated the sound of the whistle, so loud and pricing, it made her think that one day the whistle will make her deaf, and that's just what she needs, to be deaf as well as blind. Loud footsteps appear at the right of her, getting louder and louder with every step, thump, thump, thump. She hears her nurse come into her room and says, "It's time, today's the day." A smile made a home on her mouth as she remembered that it in fact was the day. She got ready and got into a car with an automotive side door and self driver "Please open the window," She said and the car obliged. She could still feel the summer breeze and she still wondered whatever happened to those people, the people she wanted to know more about? 

She got out of the car. Her nurse holding onto her arm as they walked into the clinic. They sat down until she heard someone say, "Ms. Pola? Elizabeth Pola?" The confidence and boom of his voice, ricocheting off the walls and hitting her ears. She said "Yes, that's me" She hears two-foot steps coming in front of her. "I hope you're ready for your eye treatment. Are you excited about being able to see again?" She looks up at the stranger with the deep, manly voice and smiles a magnificent, marvelous, masterpiece of a smile. Pride and excitement wash over her features as she announces "I am" 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, there it is. I'm probably gonna come back to this and spruce it up every now and again, but I think I did pretty good for someone who had no idea of what they were gonna do and is sleep-deprived.  Okay, that's it, I hope you enjoyed... bye!