verkwan ↠ "special."

started; 2020/04/18

finished; 2020/04/18

-

"i can't believe this," vernon groaned as he looked at the mess in front of him.

there was flour absolutely everywhere. everything was covered in the white dust, there were other dry ingredients that were littered across the counters. vernon was trying his absolute best not to have a breakdown right then and there.

the date read january 16th. it was seungkwan's birthday, and while he was out doing a special show for his birthday, vernon was going to surprise him with a cake, but it wasn't going accordingly to his plan. the cake had just finished baking, but when he took it out it was completely burnt and didn't even look like a cake. when seokmin came out of his room, he noticed vernon standing in front of the cake that was on the counter, staring into its soul as if it would unburn it. 

"what the hell are you doing?" seokmin asked as he came to observe the mess that vernon was making. 

"oh, it was supposed to be a cake..." vernon said in a low voice, avoiding eye contact.

seokmin hummed in response, but he noticed the sadness and came to comfort vernon. "hey, it's okay. i'm sure seungkwan will appreciate your effort. you can always make a new one."

maybe that just wasn't the right time to say it, because as soon as he did, the door to their dorm opened and seungkwan came inside, his nose scrunching up at the smell of burnt cake.

"what is that smell?!" seungkwan asked, walking further in and noticing the kitchen mess, followed by a vernon and seokmin hugging. 

"happy birthday kwannie!" seokmin smiled and ran over to hug seungkwan, who happily took the affection. 

"yeah, happy birthday." vernon came over and smiled softly, going to get a hug also.

seungkwan took them both happily and then addressed the elephant in the room. "so, what happened exactly?" he eyed vernon, knowing he definitely was apart of the situation.

"well vernon," seokmin looked over at him, "wanna explain?" 

vernon looked at both of them and then over at his "cake", then sighed. "well, i was going to make you a cake since it's your birthday, but it turned out to be a lot worse then what i was expecting. and you came back earlier than i expected so i couldn't make a new one-"

"hey, don't worry." seungkwan gave vernon a pat on the back, "i appreciate you trying, but you could've just had mingyu hyung make it, he knows what he's doing."

"yeah, agreed." seokmin laughed. "no offence though, vernon. we appreciate your effort. but anyway, i'm gonna go continue what i was doing. you two have fun." seokmin smirked and left the kitchen, leaving the two of them alone in the main area with everyone else in their rooms waiting for seungkwan's already present arrival.

when seungkwan heard the door shut, he engulfed vernon into a hug. 'it's okay babe, i really do appreciate your effort." 

"thanks, because i really tried to do it by myself so it was more special." vernon rested his head in the crook of seungkwan's neck and placed small butterfly kisses on it that made seungkwan giggle.

"it's very special," seungkwan smiled and kissed vernon properly. "you're my special." he cupped vernon's cheeks and laughed.

"you're so sweet," vernon smiled, "now i'm gonna clean this mess up." he started by throwing the cake away after seungkwan was insistent on trying it, but immediately regretted it and caused both of them to burst into laughter. 

"oh my god, how do you mess up that badly?!" seungkwan laughed as he washed his mouth out with water.

"shut up, i cook better than you." vernon pouted.

"yeah, whatever. just hurry so i can cuddle with your cute ass." seungkwan winked, to which vernon just blew him a kiss and continued. seungkwan decided he should help to make the process faster, so he helped clean off the counter. when he finished, he went over to vernon and wrapped his arms around the taller's waist and rested his head on vernon's back.

"thank you," seungkwan smiled, "but i still kinda want cake," he mumbled to himself, but vernon obviously heard him.

"i think we'll keep mingyu hyung to that duty," vernon smiled, "just go get him and have him make it."

"okay," seungkwan smiled and let go, running off to get mingyu. he heard a loud scream and eventually, all of the members were out of there rooms, greeting seungkwan and singing happy birthday.

mingyu resigned to the kitchen with jihoon while the rest of them were in the living room, talking amongst themselves and to seungkwan, who was wrapped up in vernon's arms and had their fingers interlaced the whole time until mingyu yelled,

"the cake's done!" 

this caused everyone to get up and run over to the kitchen, begging for a slice. vernon laughed and let seungkwan get up, but he pulled up vernon with him and wrapped his arms around his waist. he connected their lips and vernon smiled into the kiss.

"you're very special, even if you can't bake a cake." seungkwan said and smiled, bringing vernon with him to have some birthday cake.

-