1

January 4th

RINGALINGALINGALINGALI- THWACK

Monday already, huh?  I think, hand still on the alarm clock. I move my fingers, feeling the imperfected smoothness of the old bell on top of the clock. 

What a dinosaur.

I sit up in bed and just stay still. I know I should just get up. I know I won't feel so sluggish if I just went downstairs to eat whatever Grandpa decided to throw onto the stove. Or maybe he wasn't feeling it either and just left me to cereal. Hopefully the latter. Today definitely feels like a cereal kind of day.

I groan a little. I'm not normally so lazy but winter break just ended. I have yet to fix my sleep schedule from the nights I spent late with friends. My best friends. I smile realizing I can see them today and not have to sneak anybody in.

With the extra energy I'm given, I decide to actually change out of my jeans from last night and put on fresh ones and a white tee, complete with a brown flannel. 

"Armin! You coming down to eat?" I hear from the kitchen downstairs, my grandfather urging me to hurry before I start running late. That's my cue, which also means it's probably not a cereal day. 

Hurriedly, I go to the bathroom to fix my chin-length blonde hair. I wince at the sight of it. It looks so tangled and just.. all over the place. 

I'll just brush it on the walk to school.

"Coming!" I yell, rushing down the stairs to meet my grandpa in the kitchen. He holds out a plate of sausage and waffles, of which I take graciously. I'm not too much in the mood for all of it, but I'm still grateful.

I take it upstairs so I can eat while getting the rest of my things together. Opening my door, I realize my desk with my school supplies sprawled all over is a mess. I shake my head and put my plate down, grabbing my book bag so I can hurry and get what I need organized.

BZZT BZZT

I look over at my phone, still plugged into its charger in the wall.

Five minutes?! 

I look at the mess on my desk and the still uneaten food. I try to run my fingers through my hair before they try to yank the tangles out on their own, reminding me that I still have yet to fix it.

School doesn't even start 'til 7:30. We live ten minutes away. Why is she so worried?

I sigh and haphazardly throw the loose supplies into a pocket in my bag before I stuff a sausage into my mouth.

Might as well oblige.

I grab my brush hurriedly and start brushing while furiously chewing.

BZZT BZZT

Oh god, has it been five minutes already? 

I look at my phone expecting a text from either Eren or Mikasa but am surprised to see an unknown number.