chapter 9

"...Saturday? Ah...yeah, we can make it." Sowon continued her conversation with Umji on the phone, turning back to face Yerin. "Mm...see you then! Bye-bye!"

"So...Umji's hosting a get-together on Saturday night and she wants us to go along...!"

"Sure, that sounds great!" Yerin smiled 

                                                                  ...........................

When Saturday evening came, Yerin found herself waiting impatiently by the front door whilst a certain red-haired idiot was stationed by the wall mirror, combing her hair through.

"We're going to be late," Yerin said for the fiftieth time.

"H-Hold on..." Sowon said, dissatisfied with how she looked in her reflection.

Yerin groaned loudly. "Sowon it looks fine. Let's go already...Umji's expecting us."

"There are bags under my eyes...!" Sowon whined, leaning closer to the mirror for further self-inspection. "I can't go out, I look like cow shit...!"

Yerin rolled her eyes " I don't care, let's go." She reached for the older's arm and dragged her out of the house.

                                                                          ..................................

At long last, they reached Umji's front door; Yerin looked up at Sowon in anticipation, waiting for her to do something.

"Well...?" She said.

"Well, what?" Sowon looked back at her.

"Are you going to knock?"

"Knock?"

"Yeah. It's what you do on a door when you want somebody to open it for you." Yerin said satirically.

Sowon couldn't help but crack a smile at the younger girl's sarcastic comment.

Displeased with Sowon's lack of reply, Yerin decided to knock on the door herself.

A few moments passed but Umji didn't take long before she flung the door wide open in excitement.

"You're here!" She exclaimed. "I'm so happy to see you!"

Brimmed with elation, Yerin stepped forward and the two of them enveloped one another in a giant hug.

"I've missed you too~" Yerin chimed back to her.

Sowon watched them in despair. She reached out and grabbed the back of Yerin's shirt, tugging on it to try and pull her away from the embrace."Hahaha, yes...What a heartfelt reunion..." She muttered, with a large amount of spite in her voice."That's enough hugging..."

—Umji let them in, and they gathered around the middle of the living room where Eunbi and Yuju were already stood together.

" What are you doing here?" Sowon asked her older sister in disbelief.

" Umji invited us over and if you are wondering,  Yuju and I are dating," Eunbi said back.

" Oh okay, Yuju, good luck on taking care of that jackass" Sowon winked that her best friend, who raised an eyebrow at her.

                                                             ..................................

"mAKe room for me-!" Umji exclaimed, rubbing her hands together in excitement as she prepared to sit herself down in between Sowon and Yerin.

Sowon took no time in preventing her from doing so, glaring at her with hostility."Absolutely not." She muttered clearly at the younger girl.

"Huh? But there aren't any other free seats to sit—"

"There's a space by Eunbi and Yuju," Sowon said, nodding her head in the direction of the two.

—Eunbi and Yuju were still lost in their own world; Eunbi's fingers were delicately teasing Yuju's skin, leaving light little pinches all over her neck. They were tangled up cosily together like one giant, inseparable, love-struck blob.

Umji looked at them, and her face shrivelled up slightly in disgust. "...Next to those two? God knows what they'll end up doing on that sofa..."

"Then sit on the floor," Sowon shrugged carelessly, determined she wasn't going to let Umji cockblock her rare opportunity to cuddle up to Yerin.

"S-Sit on the floor in my own house...?" Umji frowned whilst dumping a few of the cushions onto the ground to sit on."Is this the punishment I get for being single and alone...?"

"Cheer up~" Yuju snickered to Umji who was still grumbling about her misfortunes."What should we do tonight anyway?"

"Ah, I thought we could play some games," Umji said.

"Games? Are you five?" Sowon teased her.

"Yeah - five inches taller than you," Yerin remarked in her familiar sarcastic tone.
Sowon raised her eyebrows, turning to face her."I hardly think you're in a position to say anything when it comes to height, baby," She retaliated. " And I am sure that everyone in this room knows that I am 1.73 meters."

" Tsk, I thought I could make fun of u, u giant freak" Yerin rolled her eyes.