Chapter 10- Face of Cards

I woke up at 4 precisely from the best slumber I ever had in the last two months. 

Ethan was snoring lightly, a peaceful expression marring his face. Unlike the shivering, defeated eyes which had tormented me last night. 

Time. I have to give him that. 

I put on my clothes, trying to be as quiet as possible. He needed rest- more than me, more than the world. First the Amazon trip which I knew nothing of, and now back to Edenbrook. I was aware that he hopped from town to town in the river basin, leading the team against a mysterious outbreak. My heart clenched when I imagined him in the wilderness, unresting for days and fighting to save the people. 

How many sleepless nights has he endured there? 

I checked my phone and found a few texts from my roommates who were worried about my sudden unseeingly disappearance. I shut it off and got up, preparing to leave.

"Charlotte?" Ethan murmured, reaching out for me by his side. When his hand didn't find me, his eyes jerked open, a shallow pool of Caribbean gleam blinking back at me. "You are up?"

"I have to go." I sighed, "I have my things back at the apartment. Plus I have to change."

He pressed his eyes tightly before yawning. I smiled.

He raised his brows, "What's that for?"

I shook my head.

"Wait. Give me some minutes. I will drop you." He offered and pushed the blanket.

I gently touched his chest, "No. You take a power nap, I will catch a T."

He scowled at me, "I am not letting you walk to the subway alone at 4am in the morning."

I laughed, "I am a big girl, Ethan. Surely, I can walk on my own. Plus it's just a block away from here."

"Absolutely not." He sternly replied, now fully awake, "I am not letting you go alone. God knows what might be lurking in the street."

I pushed him back to bed, this time with force, "Absolutely not. Dr. Turner orders you to sleep because you unquestionably need it. I can call a cab, will that be better?"

We stared at each other for a few seconds, not budging from our statements. Then he sighed and finally relented. I booked Uber while Ethan leaned back to the bedpost, rubbing his eyes. My heart broke whenever I found him in a state of vulnerability. He wore a placid mask which never adhered in the professional environment...but in front of me, he was just...him.

When the cab arrived, I carried my stuff and kissed him softly. It warmed my insides, just like the ray of sunrise which has yet to fall upon the land. I hoisted a leg on the bed, wrapping my arms around him again and pulled him closer. He deepened the contact, and soon I was on top of him again.

With a groan, I broke away.

"See you in two hours, Dr. Ramsey." I winked at him.

He kissed me once again, "Don't be late. We have to review Lamar's case today, Dr. Turner."

"I love you." I whispered, unwillingly detaching myself from his embrace.

Ethan smiled, eyes like the shimmering waters glinting with pure life, "I love you, Charlotte."

---------------

Jackie had an early shift today; hence she joined me in the morning. She informed that we, residents apparently had a rewind of our schedules, a decision made abruptly last night. Half of the residents along with their mentees were transposed for the night shift in the week and the other half in the morning. When I asked for the reason, Jackie shrugged citing who knew what went with the administration.