mother?

Davina:

As I awoke from my nap, I slouched back in the chair trying to keep my eyes open. It had been a long day. The clock on max's dashboard read 2:30 am.

I daydreamed for a while of us miraculously finding Brad on the side of the street. When we drove up Esther's driveway I took a big gulp. I hadn't seen her in the past 3 years. I quickly sat up and reapplied my makeup. I didn't want to look like a monster in-front of one.

Max and I got out of the car and started for the door. Not having been there for the past couple years, I had forgotten how there was a crack in the pavement. I lost my balance and began to fall. Waiting for my butt to hit the ground I then noticed that Max had caught me. "Forgot about the crack." He said jokingly. I laughed, " it's been a while." Max helped me to my feet and we began walking again.

When I finally reached the door I noticed Max's hesitation before knocking. I raised my hand and knocked for him. He looked at me for a while and I looked back. It wasn't until Esther answered the door did he look away. "Can I help you?" Esther asked. Implying she didn't know who we were. I could see Max's face full of disappointment. How could she of forgotten her own son, her own blood. I quickly introduced myself and then she realized that I was here with Max. "Max, my beautiful boy, you've grown so gracefully." Esther said those words with no sense of actual emotion. "Hello Esther" Max replied, "Have you seen Brad?" "No I haven't, but I may know where he is" Esther replied, "Come in."