old ties

Max:

As I drove past that bright neon sign memories filled my head. Wether they were good or bad, I didn't want to remember them. Nor did I want to think of them. I hated my mother. She was never there for me. Always coming home drunk at 2 am, while I was fast asleep. Never showed up for a single school function. I only had my dad. He was there for me. My friends always told me that they wanted to be famous singers when they grew up. Me, I wanted to be like my dad. When Esther, my mother, told my father that she was pregnant. My father told her from that point on once she had the baby, she would pick up her train wreck of a life and leave. Sad thing about it is she did just that. She sent the occasional birthday cards and payed for child support, but I never heard from her. Truth be told though is that we didn't need her and our lives became so much simpler after she left.
As we drove up that bumpy paved road, I could see her house from the distance. Newley renovated it appeared. She had went from brick to navy blue paneling. As well as new grey stone steps. I pulled into her driveway, noticing a brand new car as well. What had this woman been doing? Had she finally got her life together?
Davina sat up from her half asleep slumber and opened the overhanging mirror. She quickly fixed her mascara and put on lip gloss. She turned and smiled at me. "Let's go" she said. And off we went.