Chapter 20: To Walk In the Light of the Truth

Soraya

She found the prince sitting on the deck, his legs dangling over the edge of the slender stern, significantly smaller than that of a normal-sized ship. She closed her eyes as she breathed in the cool breeze, the autumn air reviving her as it danced past the white sails of the Pearly. It had been over a month of her, Tom, and Remus on the Pearl together and it had been surprisingly tranquil, even refreshing.

Upon approach, Soraya swore she saw the man quickly wipe what looked like tears from his face.

"Are you crying?"

"What? Psh. Nah, what would make you think that?" He stammered far too hastily, the traces of liquid still shimmering on his bronze skin. He always spoke in his native accent around her and Soraya had always appreciated it, seeing it as a sign of trust, despite the unconventional circumstances surrounding their friendship. She had stopped viewing him as her prisoner for months now and the wariness that she had once felt around him was waning far faster than she had anticipated. She had even allowed him to roam freely, after experiencing an overwhelming amount of guilt whenever she saw the bruises from the chains around his wrists.

Daiyu's betrayal flashed through her mind. Soraya didn't want to ponder on what she would do if the prince betrayed her. No, she didn't want to dwell on that kind of pain at all.

But you must. He could very well betray you at any second. She held onto that thought, as she had done for months now. She would find a way to confirm it, to ensure his loyalty.

"Because your eyes are red for God's sake."

"They are always red." Soraya rolled her eyes, anticipating the retort before it had even left his mouth.

"I know, I realized. Are you okay?" Soraya smiled casually, taking a seat beside him. She always felt strange speaking to the prince as if he were one of her own, yet she often found herself doing just that.

"I'm just...happy." The simple response took her by surprise.

"Is that something to be crying to yourself about?" She teased, shoving him playfully. Normally, he would've shoved her back, but today, Remus just smiled distantly at her, his expression somewhere far away. Soraya leaned her head on his shoulder, ignoring the slight intake of breath from the prince at her rare and unexpected display of affection.

"Talk to me, Remus. You're so quiet today." He didn't respond at first, his muscles growing increasingly tense beneath her cheek.

"Why, princess? Why are you like this around me?" Soraya lifted her head immediately, a frown forming on her face, dread filling her gut at having to answer the question they had both avoided answering for months.

"I...I don't know."

"Do you see me as something more than your prisoner?" He demanded, turning to face her, those intense red eyes drilling into her as they searched for answers.

"Yes." Her response was hesitant.

"Do you see me as something more than a friend?" Soraya sighed, knowing that he would confront her at some point and that she wouldn't have a proper answer for the prince. She didn't even have an answer for herself.

"All I know is that I enjoy the connection we have. I admit prince, I never thought I would like you so much either. I had created this false notion in my mind that all people from the Land would be twisted and evil and then you turned out to be the opposite of the stereotype I had placed you in. Suddenly, my entire perception of the world changed and I didn't even know what to do with myself. So must we put a label on whatever we are?"
Remus laughed, shaking his head.