Chapter 1

August 9, 2009

It was rare for Emmett Hunter to bring his work out into the open so, when I got the invitation to an art show called The Wild Gate, I was intrigued. Hunter was the most prominent name on the invite. I couldn't wait to go, which was odd considering I knew nothing of art or artists or what was supposed to be relevant. What I did know was that Emmett Hunter was the most amazing man I'd ever known and as I watched him get dressed for the occasion, I counted all my God-forsaken blessings that I was able to call him mine.

"Too much?" he asked, gesturing to his three-piece suit.

"You're very pretty," I observed, a slight smile tugging at my lips.

"That didn't really answer my question," he replied with a grin of his own.

"I don't know what you want me to say."

"Am I being pretentious or too much? Honesty is what I'm looking for."

"Honestly? You could wear a hoodie and sweatpants and no one would care." I sat back in the armchair he insisted on having in the bedroom. "I like to look at you no matter what you're wearing and I think I speak for everyone when I say that."

He chuckled, adjusting his cuffs. "It reminds me of the day we met. I think it still has the scuffs from when you fell on me."

"I didn't fall on you. I fell in your general direction and you caught me. That was your own fault, not mine. I was just doing what I do best."

By the end of my rambling, he was laughing softly and making his way over to me. He used two fingers under my chin to lift my gaze. "I can't wait to show you off tonight."

"Tonight's about your art, not me, okay?" I pulled my legs up into the chair, crossing them underneath me. "You don't get enough recognition for how amazing it is."

He took a deep breath, running his fingers through his wavy brown hair. "I'm nervous, angel."

"There's nothing to be nervous about. It'll be perfect and you'll be perfect." I became concerned with how anxious he was so, I changed gears. "Afterwards you can take me to get a cheeseburger or something and it'll be great."

He nearly growled, pulling his phone out of his pocket. I hadn't heard it go off, but as he looked at it, he genuinely growled. I reached out and put my hand on his thigh. His breath hitched, his gaze flicking to me, but not softening.

"Lenoire's boyfriend has gone missing."

"The art director?" He nodded subtly. "What does that mean for your show?"

"I have to go help her open the gallery."

"Shouldn't we be concerned that he's gone missing?"

He sighed, "They have their fights and he runs off. It's nothing new."

Lenoire Taylor was Emmett's agent and patron. She had eyes, ears, and wasn't completely brain-dead so, she naturally was attracted to him. In recent months, she'd gone from enthusiastic art promoter to obsessive, jealous wannabe-side-piece. He had never allowed it to go any further than the flirting, but I hated when he would go meet with her. I wanted to rip her face off.

"I'm good?" he asked anxiously, opening his arms wide.

"Not pretentious at all, Em," I answered with a smile.

"Okay," he sighed, putting a hand on either arm of the chair. "It starts at 5, but you can come any time you want. I want you by my side the whole night."

"Aye, captain," I said, biting my lip.

"I love you, angel," he whispered, leaning down and kissing me gently.