Chapter 5

August 16, 2009

Blinking up at the ceiling for a long while, I realized I was back at the Crystal Lake house. I slowly sat up and was shocked to find that the movement was completely painless. Emmett was crumpled up on the floor next to the bed I'd been nicely tucked into. He groaned and stretched, but didn't wake up as I got out of bed.

"Sleep it off, handsome," I whispered, pushing some stray hair from his face. I kissed his forehead and made my way downstairs.

The house was seemingly empty as I walked into the kitchen. The coffee pot already had a fresh pot brewing. It wasn't on a timer so, someone had to have made it. Someone was in my house that I couldn't sense.

"Hello? Hello, person who doesn't live here," I said nonchalantly, pouring myself a cup. There was a note on the front of the cabinet.

Milady, my apologies for not being there when you awake, but I had to get you out of the sanctuary as soon as I could. I mixed a few herbs into the coffee that will help complete your healing and will bring your companion out of his torpor. Personally, I wish you the best of luck, but I have to do as I am ordered to do.

I took a deep breath and caught the scent of all the best healing herbs and a hint of an enchantment. It was all safe and commonly used. I also still trusted Bale even though I had mostly no reason to. I gulped down the first cup before Emmett hobbled out of the bedroom.

"What is that?" he asked, nearly falling over the counter next to me.

"Drink it," I said, putting a cup of coffee in front of him. "It'll make you feel better."

"Are you okay?" he asked, tracing the handle of the cup. "I thought I was strong enough to get through. I... I was wrong."

"I'm fine, Em," I murmured, not able to meet his eyes.

The tension grew and grew until he just pulled me into his arms. "We'll figure this out, okay? Whatever is going on," he said, kissing my forehead. "We'll figure it out."

"Okay," I managed, clinging to him like I'd fall into the abyss if I didn't. "I guess, an I told you so isn't far off."

I was teasing him, but he didn't even hear me. I looked at where he was focusing his attention. Triljon was standing just a few feet away with a very angry look on his face.

"You need to get rid of them," the Svartálfen said.

"Get rid of who?" I asked.

"They're your people, you need to get rid of them before it's too late and she gets hurt."

"I'll deal with it later," Emmett said.

"They are closer than they've ever come. You need to stop them before we step in. Brethren or not, she comes first, Emmett. You need to deal with it now."

I could have sworn it was the first time I'd ever heard Triljon call him by his name. There was a darkness in it though, almost a malice to it. My husband stared at him for a long moment before nodding.

"Agreed," he said with a sigh.

"What's going on?" I asked, utterly shocked by the sudden urgency. "Would someone talk to me?"

"I will explain everything as soon as I'm done," my husband said. "Take her to Cattie's and don't let her out of your sight. Handcuff yourself to her if you have to. It's not safe here anymore."

Before I could say how much I hated them both right then, Triljon and I were pushed from the room by power that felt very similar to Emmett's. It was so much more though. Stronger, more intense and wild.