The fiancé

He thought he was suffocating. His throat got tighter and tighter, his breath was short. It wasn't until the tears came that Sam realised he wasn't dying. He was crying. The violent sobs were shaking his body, his grief as strong as the one he had felt in Minas Tirith when he had realised Frodo would never come back. No. It was different this time. Frodo was alive, but he was gone. He'd preferred to stay away from him. Sam couldn't have feared a worse punishment.
He should have denied him what Frodo had asked the day before. He probably wasn't in his right mind. Now Frodo must regret it. Perhaps he was even horrified to find out what Sam had been thinking about all these years. But Frodo was the one who had asked, wasn't he? Sam couldn't be sure about last night anymore. He was almost certain he'd dreamt it. And if his father hadn't mentioned Frodo that morning, Sam would wonder if he wasn't just crazy and had imagined everything from the beginning.

When he finally caught his breath, he headed to the kitchen in Bag End to make himself some tea. He had to think, and there was no point in thinking on an empty stomach. Sam had to eat and drink something. As he sat down with his steaming cup of tea, the Hobbit finally noticed the piece of paper lying on top of the kitchen table. In his panic, he had missed it. With trembling fingers, he unfolded it and read the words hastily scribbled down. Sam recognised Merry's handwriting.

Sam,

Frodo is urging us to take him to Crickhollow immediately. I wish I could have told you in person, but I won't have time for that.

You know where to find us.

Fondly,

Merry.

Sam reread the note several times. His heart was beating fast once more, but he couldn't tell if it was from relief or sorrow. Frodo hadn't left alone, he was on his way to Crickhollow: Sam could join him soon. But did he want Sam to find him ? Merry might have gone against Frodo's wishes by telling Sam their destination.
Forgetting his tea and his first breakfast, Sam hurried back down to the Gaffer's house. He entered the kitchen out of breath and found his father sitting in the same seat, still quietly smoking his pipe.

'And what's the matter with you, my boy?' asked the Gaffer as Sam slammed the door behind him in panic. 'Has something happened to Mr. Frodo?'

Of course, it was the only thing that could put Sam in such a state, and Hamfast knew it.

'I just wanted to warn you. I've got to leave. I've got to follow him.'

'Leave? Come on, come to your senses. Leave where? And for how long?'

'To Crickhollow. I don't know exactly, Da, I have to...'

Hamfast raised his hand with authority to silence him.

'None of that, Samwise. You're not going after him again without a little thought first. He hasn't been abducted, as far as I know?'

'No, he hasn't...'

'So he left of his own free will, and if he kept you out of it, I know it breaks your heart, but he probably had a good reason. You're not going to go against his will, are you?'

'But Da...'

'I'm not finished, boy. And then what? He's with Mr. Took and Mr. Brandybuck, isn't he? Then he's in no danger. There's no way you need to rescue him or anything. He's probably just looking for a little peace and quiet. And maybe he wants to give you some time to yourself?'

Sam looked at his father, stunned. Hamfast was obviously right on many things, but Sam's heart didn't want to hear it. He remained frozen, unable to know whether to follow his impulse to go after Frodo or to listen to the advice of the Gaffer.