He's Gone

"I'll be back after I drop Jessica off," Claudia told Junior, ruffling his hair. He sat on the edge of the grass playing field, solemnly tying his boots. "Stay with the team. I won't be long."

"Yeah mom, I know." He said, pouting. He looked down at the pitch, at his team warming up. He looks utterly miserable. Claudia resisted the urge to kiss his forehead and headed back to her car, back to Jessica and Heather. Jessica was holding a soft toy shaped like a sheep in her hand, shaking it in front of Heather to make her laugh.

"Dad said he'd take me camping next weekend. Real camping too, like with a tent and a fire and a shovel. He said if I was really good, extra nice to Junior, then I could try to catch a squirrel to eat!" Jessica exclaimed, bouncing in her seat with excitement.

"Oh, that's nice sweetie." Claudia smiled at her daughter in the rear view mirror. Henry doesn't know the first thing about camping, and I'll need to talk to him about the squirrel thing.

Jessica chatted away the whole ride to Madam Plouffe's beautiful terrace house, located on the opposite end of town, with her grown niece and their cats. Claudia had gotten her number from Mrs Hoovish, because apparently 'she is the only respectable music teacher for a young lady' here in Heathcomb.

Heathcomb, located about 20kms north of Ipswich, was a posh, highly-sought-after  English town of whom housed generations of the same bloodlines. Claudia's husband Henry came from an esteemed lineage dating back to the founders of Heathcomb. A fact no one in this town ever lets me forget.

"... and then I hit him." Jessica said proudly. Claudia almost slammed on the breaks.

She waited until she was stopped at a red light before swivelling around.

"You did what?" Please tell me I heard this wrong.

"Kieren," Jessica spat his name, pulling out a funny voice, "said I couldn't be a marine because I'm a girl. So I said 'can girls do this?' And socked him right in the honker. Just like my mama taught me."

Jessica grinned, head held high in pride. Claudia closed her eyes and breathed deeply. She turned back to the road and drove on.

"Jessica," she said sternly, "We have had this conversation before. You can't punch little boys. They're not as strong as you, and they cry a lot. We will be discussing your punishment when we get home young lady." 

Jessica hung her head solemnly, mumbling her apologies. Yet the determination and fire still burned defiantly in her eyes. Claudia didn't have to look to know that.

"And," she added, as pulled up to Madam Plouffe's house, "I taught you those moves for self defence. If a boy, or a man, or even a girl, ever tries to physically hurt you, then you can give them hell baby. But only then."

"I promise!" Came the shrill shriek as Claudia watched Jessica fly out of the car, violin in hand. Jessica took after her father, with beautiful auburn locks, clear green eyes and a smattering of freckles over her nose. She looks so sweet and innocent, completely contradictory to her personality.

Junior took after his mom. Thin, light blond hair with pale grey eyes and a similarly reserved personality. Remembering her promise to Junior, Claudia stopped by the bookstore on her way back, picking up a copy of the burnt book, as well as its sequel. She was driving back when an intense prickly feeling took over and her heart rate quickened.

Weird. She thought to herself, turning into the oval parking lot. Before she'd even parked her car, she knew something was wrong. Her hands shook as she hopped out, sweeping Heather up with her, books under her other arm.