beginning

"Everyone will be working in pairs and before you all pick your friends, I will be selecting the partners." Mr. Jarton spoke.

I anxiously waited for my name to be called out, knowing whoever got paired with me would hate me like everyone else.

He continued reading names until after what felt like forever he said mine,
"Mr. Rider, you'll be with Ms. Wayworth."

I felt the similar rush of nerves as he told us to sit with our partners to discuss the book we had to present on.

The project basically was going to be a presentation in front of class-the worst kind of assignment- about a part of the book we felt was unique or important.

I was too busy going over every negative thing that could come out of this I didn't even notice when Samantha Wayworth sat down next to me.

"Okay, let's get this over with." She spoke.

I knew she'd say something like that so I quickly said okay and we began glancing over the pages on the book skimming for something that stood out.

I already knew my favorite part. The book we were assigned was a romance story about two teenagers who want to be together but have to go through hurdles to make it work out.

I personally thought that the chapter where they finally get together was the part I wanted to present about. Mostly because while everyone's views on that part are so happy, I felt as though that was the saddest part.

Imagine falling in love, and being hurt over and over again by them, just to have one moment where it's as though nothing else matters. After that moment pauses and the happy ending finish the book, it would never be the end in a real life story.

In real life it turns out like my parents, who always seemed to have the perfect fairytale love until one day it was all taken away. My father died of cancer four years ago, right before I started high school, and now my mother lost the shine in her eyes.

If the book about them had ended roughly five years ago, everyone would be happy and over the moon, but life doesn't work that way.

"What part did you want to do?" I asked her quietly.

I still felt strong vibes from her not wanting to do this with me and I tried to keep my anxious mind at bay and take subtle deep breaths to slow my heart rate.

"I was thinking the love scene. Ya know the one where they finally start dating? It's so cute and it makes me wish that I could find someone like that.

"I disagree. I think that's one of the saddest parts of the book. It just shows that although you can be happy with someone for a small time, the rest of the book shows how hard it can be and we never know what happens after the happy ending."

The bell rung a few moments after I finished explaining, I could tell I gave her a lot to think about but she was in a hurry to get away. Just like everyone else. We quickly exchanged phone numbers since we only had a week before the project was due, meaning we might have to work outside of school.

I tugged on my hoodie sleeves as I ventured into the hallway. Everyone stealing clear of me because I was so repulsing I suppose. Since that was my last class of the day I started to head to my car just like any other day.