talking

When I got home I noticed my mom was still at work, meaning the house was empty. She tended to throw herself into work to try to forget everything. Although she never said it, I knew part of it was because of the resemblance I share with my dad.

We were both fairly tall with a medium build, with the same sandy brown hair. Although he had dark blue eyes like my mom, I somehow ended up with green eyes, that being the main difference between us. Even our facial structure was similar.

At first it was hard to look in a mirror after he passed. It was hard to see a version of the man I grew up with who I shared so many treasured memories with. I covered almost every mirror in the house for almost three months when it first happened.

I grabbed a snack from the kitchen before heading to my room. It was a small house just two bedrooms as that was all we could afford, but I didn't mind. My mother and I moved here to try to get a fresh start, since I didn't have many friends in the first place, I didn't mind.

We were only about two hours away from where we used to live so I often spend the weekends with my father at the cemetery. When he passed I got his car and I couldn't be more thankful for the connection to him. I kept his entire CD collection and never listened to anything else there.

I was doing some of my math homework when my phone went off indicating I had a new text. I had a few people I talked to at my school, or even hung out with here and there, but I know I'm always the last choice so I don't bother trying much more.

Sammie: do you really think there's always a sad ending after the book stops?

I noticed she didn't save her name as Samantha and questioned it slightly. I don't understand how I could be on a nickname basis aside from the one true friend I made back in the last town. He and I still talked sometimes, even seeing each other here and there but seeing as he's two hours away, it can be hard to find the time.

Wesley: i just don't believe that every story always ends with a happy ending. one way or another that person they're so in love with ends up dying. sooner than you want sometimes, but you can only live with what life gives you

It had been about five minutes since I said that and she still hadn't responded. I put my phone off to the side and continued my problems. After a little bit I stopped since my thoughts were running miles in my head.

If you looked at me from the outside, you would think I am a man of few words. Truthfully, I constantly have so much happening in my head I don't know what to say and by the time I come to a decision, the moment has passed.

There's only two people in my life besides my parents that I have ever been carefree around, and I prefer to forget about the time I spent with one of them.

Knowing I won't be able to concentrate for a while I pull out my stash from my locked box in my drawer. I roll myself a joint and tuck it away before heading to the nearest forest preserve.

I come here a lot and I make sure to send a text to my mom, knowing she'll be worried something happened that will make her lose me too.

I follow the familiar path I found in the woods one day to a secluded stream with an eight foot or so waterfall. I sit on one of the rocks nearby and bring the joint and lighter to my mouth.

I've got some soft music playing in my earbuds as I just calm down and let my mind focus on one thing-the beauty of nature. I hear the notification stop my music for a moment and look down, not expecting what I see.

Sammie: i understand. people always assume that once two people fall in love nothing will get in the way of it again but that simply isn't true. i like that perspective on it. did you want to meet up and talk more about it?

I felt like there was more to this girl than meets the eye, but I didn't know why I was who she was choosing to confide in. Based on how long it took her to send that, I can assume she was debating on whether or not to say that.

Every time I've seen her at school, she always seemed to be smiling and laughing with her friends around her. Never did I see a hint of sadness in her eyes or face, but I did notice she always wore hoodies. She wasn't insanely popular, and typically was nice to everyone.

Nonetheless I was conflicted. I feel like I should go meet up with her, but I don't want to give her another reason to hate me by showing up high. After a while of thinking and starting at the waterfall softly singing along to my music, I finally worked up the courage to text her back.

Wesley: i'll be honest, i'm not sure you'd want to see me right now, maybe another time?

Her reply came quick this time, almost like she had been waiting for me the past ten minutes glued to her phone. I chuckled at the thought, no one would ever be like that.

Sammie: anything to get me out of this house right now.

I quickly typed back telling her to meet me at the local coffee shop in 15 minutes.

I made the short walk back to the car and stopped at home to grab my stuff for the class. I made it to the coffee shop with two minutes to spare so I found a table and pulled everything out of my bag.

I saw her walking towards me a few minutes later, looking different than she does at school. She seemed, smaller. Not physically of course but not as bubbly and she almost seemed upset. I knew though that she wouldn't want to talk to me, I bet she just didn't want to be home so she used me as an excuse. Not that she wanted to actually see me.

We caught each other's gaze and she came over.

"Sorry I'm a few minutes late," she mumbled. "Did you order anything?"

"No I was waiting for you." I was worried she'd judge what I order so I decided to keep debating on my top five choices before she got here, all drastically different so that after she chose, I could pick the one I felt she'd think was the least weird.