thinking

After she said that she changed the topic back to the project and we selected our five points then decided to call it a night. I felt extremely anxious the entire time after our talk and kept everything I had to say brief. My mind swirled as her words danced around my brain. I tried my hardest to focus but couldn't seem to stop my thoughts yet again.

When I got home it was around 7:30 and I noticed mom was in the kitchen making food. She always makes food for two unless I tell her otherwise, and even then she leaves me leftovers.

Despite working so much, she tries to be a good mom. Mostly she is, she's just a distant mom. I get a lot of free time and as long as I tell her I'm alive and well she doesn't pressure me into talking much. That doesn't stop me from knowing she loves me though.

Every night before we part ways for the rest of the evening, she says a new way of showing me she loves me. Sometimes they're small paragraphs or just a few sentences, and others she tells me small stories from my childhood or something.

"Hey mom." I walked into the kitchen and sat at the small dining table.

"Hey son. How was your day?" This is typically how it goes. Small talk during dinner then her loving paragraph until we go our separate ways for the rest of our day.

"It was okay, I have a new project so I'll be out more than usual with my partner." I kept my eyes away from her face, hating seeing her look so broken.

"Okay sweetheart, grab some bowls will ya? The pasta is about done."

I headed over and set the table as she plated our meal.

"So what's the project?" She inquired taking a small bite of her spaghetti.

"It's about the book we read for class where a guy and girl fall in love but it takes a ton for them to finally be free and happy. We have to pick a part and share why it's unique or why the author chose to write it that way or really any other take on it."

"Sounds wonderful sweetheart." She gave me a sad smile and I knew she was thinking about dad again.

I left her to her thoughts returning to my own about what happened with Sammie today. She said she knew was the look was. I don't know what is on my face, but I could tell from her sad eyes when she spoke that she had sympathy or maybe that she was speaking from personal experience.

That was all I'd been able to think about as we finished our conversation and parted ways, yet her words never left though her presence did.

Mom and I continued eating and as we finished we cleaned up. She worked on washing the dishes while I dried them and put them in their respectful places in the cupboard. We worked in a comfortable silence finishing rather quickly. Before I made a move to leave the kitchen I told her I was gonna try to get some sleep.

"Okay son, just remember that I love you. And I know what happened to you before has hurt you and bruised you, but one day, you'll find yourself surrounded by people you never thought possible, and one day I believe son, that you will get the happy ending your father and I couldn't spend together."

Her voice broke on the last word and she went to her room, leaving the sponge next to the sink. I called after her that I loved her too as I made my way to my own bedroom.