Chapter 3

Every week since that incident I went to his room in the hospital and brought him flowers. However today Mr. Brook is planning on removing the machines keeping Mat alive after only the first year but I begged him no.

"Alex I know you are sorry but we cant keep this machine on him forever, we might have to accept the fact that he won't ever wake up. It pains me greatly but not having closure and hoping everyday he wakes up and he doesn't hurts so much. I also cant afford the medical bills already. His sister is going to attend University soon and I can't afford both."

"No please don't. Give me 2 days please just two days. I can't live if you pull that machine I killed him"

"You didnt kill him Alex it was an accident and we forgive you. I will give you two days to say goodbye." He said and left.

I went home that night and cried until the next morning until my mother came in and talked to me. I told her everything the next day was the day they were pulling the plug. My mom and dad went with me at the hospital and there we saw Mr. Brook and his wife and daughter.

The doctor will be coming in an hour Mr. Brook said his wife and daughter looked like a mess Im guessing I look like them.

Red puffy eyes, uncombed hair pale skin that is our description right now. I went to Sheena the daughter and hugged her.

"I'm so sorry" I sobbed.

She used to hate me for what happened to her brother and I would too if it was me, but after a couple of months we started talking and we became close. I also hugged Mrs. Brook and said sorry.

"Mr. and Mrs. Brook this past year has made us closer together and believe it or not we care about Mat as well. We understand the situation and last night I talked to the head of our company. I was able to pull some strings and they agreed to transfer Mat to the private hospital that is owned by the company."

"We are grateful but as you are aware my daughter is going to the University next fall and we cant afford it" Mr. Brook explained.

"I'm sorry I was not able to explain. The hospital will not be free but it will not cost you much. The doctor who will be observing him is a friend of mine and he owes me a favor and said he can be his doctor for free. The room he will be staying at is given by the company for free as well as the machines and CT Scans and anything to be used for Mat even his IV, in exchange that they take a picture of Mat and make an article about him. The only thing you need to think of some of is his medicine."

"So they will make an article about Mats condition and publish it?" Mrs. Brook said in horror.

"I'm afraid so. You know how it is to companies they always crave for attention and publicity. Don't worry I will make sure that they will not give you a savage reporter but we will find a person who will give the story in your point of view and how you want it to be portrayed. And as for the medicine we did promise that half of your expenses will be ours." My mother continued.

I can't help the joy Im feeling I ran to her and hugged her.

"That is all too much thank you Mrs. Lee" Mrs. Brook said as she hugged my mother and even Sheena hugged us which turned to a group hug in a minute.

That was a year ago and now we are here. Mat had yet to wake up I'm going to miss going there every week and telling him stories of how my week went. It had been two years since that tragedy and now we are here far from them. My mother did promise me I can visit them from time to time.

Anyway that is all that happened to me now you know my past my story and he reason I can never hold a bat. I do miss playing but the trauma of what happened was always there which made me stop playing for good.