01 | The Beginnings of The End

**i set my fonts to 'mono space'. lol its quite awesome.

 lol its quite awesome

'We might need a legal status report or anything that verifies that your father --ahem,' the crone had the decency to clear her throat at least before continuing, 'late father sorry, was clean from external substances that could be considered ille...

'We might need a legal status report or anything that verifies that your father --ahem,' the crone had the decency to clear her throat at least before continuing, 'late father sorry, was clean from external substances that could be considered illegal-'

I cut her off when I dropped a stack of papers on her desk. Far as i know, it was only a different demand this time; same story --the company for whom Dad had toiled days into nights for, really did not want to pay compensation to their dead worker's family. Of course this was coming from the same corporation whose industries was currently littered with naked machines. I was of a mind to sue for negligence and unsafe working environment but I could barely scrounge enough money to make trips to high courts to swear affidavits, talk more of to sue a whole company. As I sat even, my mind roved and had compartmentalized all the mouths that were waiting to swallow this money whole.

'I got the memo before and here are the proper documents. Apparently the last ones weren't properly run through the right protocols.' I sneered. 'There is a full hospital record there too. And also a dated death certificate, though I don't know how that is necessary. You cannot say I haven't gotten it all now.'

The lady's lips pinched and she nitpicked the folder from the table and placed it under a huge pile of books, without even looking at it.

'Good then. Just a few more things and we will be ready to pull your-,'

No no. This shit was not going to fly anymore! My palm came down hard on the H.R. official's wooden desk and we both jolted from the impact.

Too much? She probably thought nut cases ran in the family, starting from a dad who had walked straight into the teeth of the same machine he had managed for over a decade.

'Listen...,' It seemed office protocols did not apply to people you were trying not to pay so I never got any names so I just continued. 'Ma'am, this was supposed to be the last thing I needed. At least, that was what the other lady told me.'

Dreary eyes blinked lazily at me.

'What other lady?'

Really? I fought an exasperated sigh. I had to give it to them. They did not tire. But neither would I. I will come everyday if I had to, simply because I needed that money. The need for it was so bad that I wasn't sure I could afford to come all the way here once more if they asked me to. But I knew I would trek if I had to.