03 | All Work and No Friends...

'What of Ineh? She should be able to deliver something no matter how little by now

'What of Ineh? She should be able to deliver something no matter how little by now.' A sigh, and then, 'The real problem here is that you don't listen to advice, Koko. You always hope for too much in people. Nobody is as trustworthy as you are.'

I wipe the hot afternoon sweat from my face. Droplets entered my eyes and the sting lasted long than it should have. The heat outside almost matched the one inside the holding cell I had been kept in. Only that one was somehow magnified into a sauna.

'I don't know, Kiki. Please I just don't know. Ineh had not been at home for months now. If she has any money for me, how do I know? Do I conjure her from the skies?' I snapped.

I probably shouldn't be hostile to my savior. Nkiruka was the only person that I could think of to call once I was led straight into the holding cell at the police station like a thief.

The events of yesterday were still hazy and felt like a dream that should never happen again.

After being loaded into the police van, the policemen had bombarded me with questions.

Why was I standing around, doing nothing at that time of day?

What was a young lady like me doing with such a big cash?

I must be a prostitute -admittedly, that one was more of a statement.

Of course, I could barely cause my tongue to function to reply them. If I had been in shock before, it didn't compare to the reactions that the sight of the policemen dividing the cash between themselves in the vehicle, had caused in my insides.

With every note that left the polythene bag, I was being maimed. The tears also did not stop coming. But the policemen were too enamoured by their good luck to bother. I could have cried a lagoon and then dropped dead, for all the care they gave.

Right now, they were probably drinking away their cursed lives on the money they had stolen from me.

I hoped they choked on that money. Choked on it so hard that they couldn't breathe and died from suffocation.