"Sing for me"

Alexa

    I like it when the kids come home after school. Not only because Gabe leaves me alone, but because I get to listen to people, i get to listen to their happiness. I’m sick of just having Gabe and Lola to socialize with. Yes, I love Lola but I just need more human interaction. And Gabe doesn't care and won’t listen to my pleas.

    I miss Kyle. All I want is to see him. Just so I can say goodbye one more time. I wonder about him a lot, what he is doing, how he is taking all of this, if he is worried about me. I want nothing more than to be in his arms right now. Being apart has made me realize that I can’t lose him. I need him in my life. I love him. I always have, I know that. If I make it through this, the first thing I will do is run into his arms and tell him just how much I love him. I want nothing more...

    I hear a bus. I hate this noise in the morning, it means the kids go away and another day of suffering. I am weak these days. But I have come up with a plan today. Lola is still unable to stand, so I carry her behind boxes like I always do and then make my way up the stairs, I know Gabe will open the door within 15 minutes. I don't know how well this plan is going to play out, and I am risking my life, but I need to get Lola some help. I anxiously wait for around 5 minutes, I know hes going to have the knife like he always did, but this time when he opens the door, I push him as hard as I can into the wall behind him and take off running. My knee makes me substantially slower but I just need to get to the road, I just need somebody to see me, to recognize me. To hear my screams. It takes Gabe a few seconds to recover which is what I am counting on. I use all the energy I still have and run as fast as i can to the street. There was nobody there. “HELP!” I screamed desperately. “Help.”

    Nobody can hear me. I run as fast and as far as i can, trying to escape my killer. If I am caught there is going to be big consequences. When I don’t find anyone and he is catching up to me, I run to the nearest house with a car in the driveway. I rang the doorbell so many times, I lost count. A teenager opens the door right as Gabe got to the steps and grabbed me and started pulling me away. I burst into tears. My one chance at freedom is taken away from me, “She’s just a little confused” Gabe says reassuringly. The teen’s eyes get wide and he shuts the door and lockes it as fast as he can. There is no use putting up a fight anymore. He is taller, and stronger. There is nothing I can do.

    He brings me back to the house and ties me to a chair upstairs. He goes downstairs and notices the box that once held Lola was empty. He then storms back upstairs.

    “Where is she” He yelled, spitting into my face

I wasn't about to give her up. Even if i have to die.

He knows this and searches the basement. I thought she had a chance because he was down there for quite a long time. I tried yet again to escape from the chair but nothing worked. After what seemed like hours Gabe comes back upstairs

                            with lola in his arms.

“Thought you could trick me?” He shouts “DID YOU?!”

I start to cry again. I thought I had been drained of all my tears but they keep falling.

He grabs his knife off the table where he had left it and opens it. He holds it to her neck.

I beg and pleaded for her life through my sobs, I even tell him to kill me instead.

“Please” I scream one last time. I don’t want to watch my new best friend die.

“Please, kill me, I’m the one that tried to escape, she did nothing!”

“You’re right”

I have a moment of relief…

a moment that is short lived.

he walks over to me

“But I want you to suffer”

He take the knife and slices my wrist open, blood starts gushing out. I scream out in pain. I could bleed out in a matter of minutes.

He focuses his attention back on Lola.

“anything you want to say to Alexa?” Gabe says, getting into Lola’s face.

I am starting to feel dizzy.

“Make it quick, I want her to see this.”

“Get away from her” I manage to say between heavy breaths.

“Thank you for your help, lex. Tell my brother I love him, I’m with the angels and will see him soon”

I went back to when she told me about Alex, her brother a couple nights ago, how he was a police officer and he is looking for her. I know I'm not going to survive this and i can't promise that I can tell him that. She is a strong girl. That is why she lived for so long. I wish I had half the strength she has. She is my best friend. I dont want her to go.

She says one more thing after that.

“Sing for me?”

I know exactly what to sing,

“You raise me up, so I can stand on mountains, you raise me up, to walk on stormy seas, I am strong, when I am on your shoulders, you raise me up, to more than I can be”

    Thats all I can get out before I feel faint.

My eyes widen as he holds the knife to her throat I scream ”NO” as loud as I can as he slices through her neck. I close my eyes. I am  hoping there is still a chance that she's alive. But I can't get to her.

Gabe cuts my other wrist open, and  as i wince in pain he throws me, still attached to the chair down the stairs one last time. I could feel the warm blood from my wrists start to  drip to the floor. I try applying pressure to them using the rope, hoping the bleeding would stop. Seconds seemed like minutes. I can hear Gabe coming back down the steps. He throws Lola’s lifeless body over me. It was then that I realized that she is gone. For good. He kicks me right in the stomach one last time. I pretend to be dead. I know I am going to die anyway, and I know It is going to be quick. I finally give up the fight.