Lola Wilkinson

Alexa

    The man brought me back to a  tan house with a brown roof, similar to mine. For such a crazy man it sure looked like he lived a normal life. He brought me into the house and to a black door at the end of a hallway, when he opened it,  there was a long staircase. He told me to shut up or I wouldn’t be coming out of there alive, and then he shoved me down the stairs. I tried catching my arm on the railing but failed and tumbled almost all the way down, then I just let myself lay there for a little bit,  I thought about what I could possibly do to get out of  here. I didn’t know if Kyle was okay, which was a big worry of mine and I didn’t know what would happen once my family figured out I was missing. I was freaking out. What did this psycho want? Why would he take me? Who even is he? I don’t understand.

I decide to stand up and look at the room he had thrown me in. It was a basement, and it was freezing cold. The floors were concrete and there were spider webs everywhere, along with old boxes with holiday decorations and lots of books  being stored there. There is a blanket in the middle of the room, but next to the blanket, lay a spill of blood. There was also blood seeping out of  a few of the boxes. I want to open a box, but I also don’t.  The truth is, I already know what is in the box, I just don’t want to believe it. I open it, and a cold shiver is sent up my spine. Just as I had predicted there is the body of a girl in there, she is a brunette girl with blue eyes, It looks as if her throat had been sliced open and she was badly beaten, her lips were chapped as if she had been dehydrated for weeks. I recognize her. She had been on the news a while ago, she was taken out of her home in  Webster and nobody had seen anything, she played softball and I watched her play when my sister played her team,  she was talented. I wonder if this would be my fate as well.The thought made me tremble. If it was, I would do whatever I could to fight it.  I hear a  whimper come from another box across the room, this one has blood spilling out of it as well.  I open the box and see a girl around my age who has blonde hair like me, but she has green eyes instead of blue.  She is still alive. I help her out, and onto the blanket. It is her leg that is bleeding. I rip  the bottom part of my shirt off and tie it around her leg. I know I have to stop the bleeding or she will bleed out and die.

    After about five minutes she falls asleep on the blanket, she is weak, and dirty, and probably needs some water in her system. I wonder if the man know she is living. I quietly tiptoe up the stairs and listen through the door, at first I hear nothing, then I hear a woman talking to the man about her day.

    “Thank you, Gabe. I love you” I hear the woman say

    “Love you too Kris” He said

Gabe. That was this killer’s name. Gabe.

And Kris. As in Kristine. My mother just told my kidnapper that she loves him. I start repeatedly hitting the door until my hands are bloody, screaming for my mother at the top of my lungs. But she never comes to my rescue.

I stay by the door for a good hour and a half, waiting for the blonde girl to wake up (at least hoping she would wake up).

In that time I learned that Gabe has three kids, a girl and two boys.  He is a stay at home dad while Anna, his wife that he is cheating on, is a Nurse at Newark’s hospital in Geensburg.  No wonder he has so much time on his hands, his kids are at school all day. I dont even know whats gonna happen when they leave tomorrow. It is only Tuesday.  Gabe bursts into the room, interrupting my thoughts. He didn’t expect me to be at the top of the stairs. I can tell he is angry with me. But I don’t care, I am furious. My mom is somehow part of this. I try running out of the basement but he grabs me, I scream at him. Asking him about my mother, begging him for an answer. He just shoves me back into the room and down the stairs. He leaves for a minute then comes back. He throws 3 pieces of bread at me then leaves again. My arms are scratched up and bruised, and I know I am bleeding from my left temple but I ignore it. I can hear him lock the door before leaving the basement. I limp back to the blanket to give the bread to the girl, she needs it more than I do.

    “Lola” she manages to say.

“What?”

“My name is Lola.”

I give her the bread, she tries giving it back to me but I push it away, there is no way I am eating that when she is almost dead from malnourishment.

“I'm Alexa”

She smiles at me, it is more of a half smile, but I don't think she has smiled in a long time.

Over the course of the night I get to know Lola, she tells me about her kidnapping. She tells me she has been here at least a couple months but she doesn’t have concept of time because in the basement, it is always dark. She says she got food once a day, a couple pieces of bread, but no water. She had attempted to escape but failed all three times, and just ended up hurt, yesterday he shot her in the leg, and left her to bleed out and die. Apparently that was a couple hours before I arrived in the basement. I tell her about Kyle and my kidnapping.

I ask her about her family and she tells me she didn’t get along with either one of her parents, just like I don’t get along with my mom. I tell her about hearing my mom outside of the door, she never heard her parents but thinks they play a role in her kidnapping and almost her murder. She also tells me she has a brother, and she knows he is looking for her.

    I decide to change the subject to something a little happier, and ask her what her future plans are. She wants to go to North Dakota State University to study medicine.

“We could be room mates” I say with a smile, knowing it probably isn't going to happen considering we are both likely to die. I had been accepted to NDSU last week, which was the first acceptance letter I had ever received.  

    “What’s your favorite song?” I ask

“You Raise me up, by Josh Groban” she replies with an almost cheery tone. That song was played at my grandmothers funeral so many years ago. When I heard it, I looked up the song and perfected the lyrics. It has been my favorite song since I was seven. I was surprised to know it was hers as well and wondered if she had a story behind it as I did.

“Me too” I say with another smile.

    I wanted nothing more than to get us both out of here. Alive.