28 - Chocolate and Beginnings

The little donut shop was exactly as Theo had rendered it.

The long wooden counter, the Formica tables and chairs, the lounge area... Even the blond cashier was there, the only difference with her virtual version being her bright red Santa hat. She greeted me with a melodious giggle. "Hello. Would you like to hear the Christmas specials?"

"No, thank you. I'm looking for a boy. Comes here often. Very tall, blond, and whose hair hasn't seen a comb in years. Shy, but not awkwardly-shy, more like cutely-shy."

"Oh, yes. Theo? He's behind the glass shelves."

"Thanks." I beamed and started towards the back of the restaurant.

"Wait, I have something for you." She dived under the counter, and rose back with a tray. And two dozen chocolate glazed donuts.

Oh, sweet heavens.

"He told me to give them to the pretty Asian girl that would come looking for him." The cashier chuckled, making the bells on her hat jingle merrily.

I grinned, both from the tasty attention and from the "pretty", then pranced to Theo's table with my precious loot.

"Hi."

He put down his coffee and got up to help me. "Hello."

I tsk-tsked him away from the tray as I put it down.

With a scoff, he sat back, and watched me remove my earmuffs, gloves, scarf, and woolen beanie. "I find it difficult to believe that you love winter, with all the layers you're wearing against the cold. What's so great about this season?" he asked, as I untied my down jacket.

I shrugged it off and hooked it on the coat hanger behind him. Snow fell from my hoodie to his hair without his noticing. "Two words: no bugs."

Theo snorted. "Right. Well, I see you've found my surprise."

I blew on my palms to warm them, then wrapped my fingers around his steaming mug. "Yes, but I don't understand."

His brows furrowed in answer.

With a sly smile, I went on, "I don't understand what you are gonna eat."

Unabashed by my statement, he outstretched a hand, picked a donut, and wolfed down half of it. "One month being grounded at home and your first outing is a Tim Hortons. From a gal who's positively obsessed with Pride and Prejudice, I expected you to text me a more romantic location for this date."

I ogled the chocolate smudge on the corner of his mouth.

"Feeling warmer?"

"Uh?" I blinked at his question, guilt spreading along with the flush on my face.

His gaze pointed towards the cup. "I asked if you were feeling warmer."

"Sure, thanks." I pushed the mug back to him, and sank my teeth in a glazed ring. Oh, boy, that was good.

"How's Amy?" he inquired, attacking his second pastry.

"She's good. She's spending the afternoon with friends. Ax throwing, I think."

"Chainsaw fencing was yesterday?"

"You'll be very glad she familiarised herself with axes, should a zombie apocalypse happen."

"I'll be sure to look for her the moment I spot undead people. How are your parents?"

"They're still mad at me for using the Bridge while I had promised to refrain from playing. But kinda proud that their daughters saved the world from a supervillain."