2|Bᴀʟᴅᴡɪɴ.

August 31st, 1966
St. Louis, Missouri
11:32pm

Ruby ☆

Ruby

My heart raced with anxiety as I watched the curtains close and all of the men in the crowd whistle and howl from their seats.

Shit, shit, shit.

"Shit, shit, shit!" I yelled, ripping off my wig and running towards the "dressing room". It's not an actual dressing room, more like a small room amongst several other small rooms down in the basement. The Cherry's isn't the only performance that the The Ditzy gets to see, there are more girls that perform on certain nights depending on their schedules.

"What's the matter?" My best friend Aika asks. Aika and I have been friends since forever. She is much taller than me and mixed race with both Japanese and Black. We met after some kids and their parents had made some extremely racist remarks towards her and her mother who was also pregnant at the time; her mother being where she gets the Japanese in her from. My parents, being the activists that they were, don't stand for that shit and defended Aika's mom. Our parents introduced us and we realized we both shared an interest in music which brought us even closer.

"He saw us!" I exclaimed, speedily wiping off my makeup.

"Who is he? There are a lot of he's in the audience Ruby." Lucy questioned with her arms crossed.

Aika and I had met Lucy in the 8th grade. She has brown skin similar to mine and like Aika, she is also taller than me. She treats us like children despite only being 3 months older than Aika and 6 months older than me. We don't exactly see eye to eye on most things but she is undeniably gifted and goal-oriented, hence her role in the group.

We had originally named our group LARZ from Marz. LARZ was an acronym for Lucy, Aika, Ruby, and our other friend Zina. Unfortunately for us, Zina moved and we were forced to switch our group name. She didn't even say goodbye. We even went to her house and apparently they hadn't told anyone they were planning on leaving Crest Hills.

We haven't heard from her since.

That's when we met Mr. James Brooks. He had heard our singing on the street and invited us to The Ditzy to perform for the guys there. We hadn't intended on a completely male audience so after our performance, he had told us we were going to need a whole new look if we wanted to continue singing. He even changed our name for us; we are now The Cherrys!

He explained to us that all we have to do is show a little skin and a producer may come to see us perform and then we'll be on our way to Hollywood. The gig pays well too so I don't really see the problem with it.

Well.

I didn't until...

The boy from today showed up.