9|Bᴀɴɢ ʙᴀɴɢ I ʜɪᴛ ᴛʜᴇ ɢʀᴏᴜɴᴅ.

October 6th, 1966
St. Louis, Missouri
6:28pm

Ruby☆

Ruby

I walked down the stairs to the basement of The Ditzy to our regular rehearsal spot. The gals and I would usually rehearse in this grungy old room given that we had nowhere else to go. It almost always smelled like fish and had what looked to be dried up blood stains all around the floor.

I found Lucy tying up her hair while practicing by herself going up the solfège scale, then grimaced once I noticed Aika stretching on the dirty old floor. "Aika how can you sit in that? It's...icky." I asked, removing my bag from around my body and placing it on a chair.

Lucy turned to me and rolled her eyes. "Icky? Really? Don't you think we're a little too old to be using such childish words?" She crosses her arms. "Why are you so late? And where's your little white boy? He was supposed to be here ten minutes ago."

"I'm sorry, I had to help my mama at home. She wasn't feeling too well." I lied. The truth is, Reneé had a little trouble at school and I had to bail her out. She was caught smoking in the girl's restroom and swore me to secrecy. It was unfortunate to watch my baby sister slowly dwindle away into some junkie. I'm sure it was because of the immense stress of taking up a job, dance, and maintaining school at her age. I wanted to make it big but not just for me, for the both of us. No not even just for the both of us, mama too.

Jimmy rushed through the door, panting heavily. "Hey you guys! I'm so sorry I'm late. My sister practically forced me to drop her off at Daylight Diner before I came here."

"You're making this a habit." I teased, as I slowly made my way over to him. He smiled at me and pulled me into an unexpected hug. I embraced his warm scent that I had now begun getting used to.

"Hey Sugar." My eyes widened and I pulled away awkwardly. Jimmy gets too comfortable sometimes and often forgets in some situations that it's not just the two of us and he can't just say and do whatever he wants.

"Sugar?" Lucy raised a brow, her hands were still crossed over her chest. Shit, what do I do?

"O-oh yeah it's just a little nickname Jimmy calls me! I call him Baldwin too! Isn't that right Baldy-" I nudge Jimmy with my elbow.

"Alright I don't care that much we need to start now. I'm on a time crunch." Lucy interrupted. I surprised myself as I silently rejoiced for Lucy's ill-mannered personality, happy that she didn't dig too much into it.

Aika must have noticed my discomfort and quickly cut into the conversation. "Anyway, I was thinking that we could perform Remember you know? Walkin' in the sand? It gives more of a sultry vibe and we do that the best-"

"What are you kidding?" Lucy interrupted, looking Aika up and down and contorted her face into a disgusted look. "You want us to always be known as the harlots that perform for old men for a good buck? No thanks. I say we perform Tell Him by The Exciters, which is what's in right now! They're looking for fresh faces, meaning: they don't want boring performances. They won't even look at us twice if we use something so slow."