4|Tʜɪs sʜᴏᴜʟᴅ ʙᴇ ɪɴᴛᴇʀᴇsᴛɪɴɢ.

September 2nd, 1966
St. Louis, Missouri
11:16pm

Jimmy ★

Jimmy

I had felt a strong urge to stop Ruby and her friends from leaving. Why did Jessica and the Darling twins come to see us? Billy and Tom told me that over the years, each of their girlfriends were usually opposed to sitting down at Annie's after a game so why tonight?

"Are you even listening to me?" Jess snapped her fingers in my face. Words cannot express how angry she made me.

"We need to talk. Now." I got out of the booth and guided Jessica towards the bathroom. She looked agitated to say the least, smacking her chewing gum on the way there.

When we reached the other side of the diner, I turned around and I was shocked to find her on the brink of tears. "Why are you always so upset with me? I try to be a good girlfriend. I showed up to your very first game dressed in team spirit, I made a poster for you, I even came to see you afterwards only to find you with some black ape!"

"That's enough!" I yelled at her. Our group of friends turned around to face us but I waved them off, letting them know that I could handle the situation. Jess was a sobbing mess. Her mascara was running down her face as she attempted to wipe up her tears.

"Jessica I like you a lot okay? Nothing will change that," It's true, despite the horrible things that may come out of her mouth from time to time and her selfish tendencies, I see the good in Jess and the good she can do for others if she actually tried. "But you need to stop acting this way, it's racist. Ruby is my friend and so are Reggie and Aika. I need you to accept that for me please. I don't want to be with someone who is mean to other people without a good a reason." I explained.

"Jimmy," she started, "I don't mean to come off as a racist. I know times are different now but it's just so hard to see you with other girls. Whether she's black, yellow, or blue, I find myself getting jealous. I don't think I've ever told you this but I'm not exactly the most confident person and my insecurities could quite literally eat me alive. I don't want you to be mad at me anymore, I just want to be the best girlfriend to you and if that means accepting you have female friends, then so be it. Will you forgive me?"

I stared at her for a while, contemplating on what I should do. Jessica is often misunderstood for being a bitch (understandably so) or narcissistic. But this—this is why I agreed to go steady with her in the first place. She just wants to be loved.

"On one condition." I bargained.

A smirk crept up to her face and her gaze lowered to my lips. "What?"

"You have to apologize to Ruby." Her face dropped and she looked into my eyes and nodded.

"Okay. I've been unfair, I'll do it."