6|ʙɪʀᴛʜᴅᴀʏ ᴡɪsʜ?

September 21, 1966
St. Louis, Missouri
2:17pm

Ruby ☆

Ruby

My seventeenth birthday. A part of me is slowly realizing that I'm only a few years shy of becoming an actual adult. It seems that's all that's truly been on my mind lately.

The future.

Over the past couple of weeks, Jimmy and I's periodic nightly conversations on the telephone have been nonstop blabber about what we want to do with our lives.

I had told him about my dreams of making it big while he had informed me that he wasn't so sure of what he wanted to do. After Jimmy had told me the truth about his mother, I couldn't help but feel sorry for him. His love for music stemmed from his mother and her behavior towards the end of her life wasn't exactly the ideal image one would want of their mother. As harrowing as the circumstances are, I feel as though him sharing something so deep and scarring to him and trusting me enough with that sacred information, has brought us closer together. We're really becoming good friends.

To my surprise, Jessica even apologized to me the other day after school. She told me that she should never have been so cruel and that she understands Jimmy and I are just friends. I'll admit, Jimmy is a very attractive boy and he makes me feel tingly all over, but we're both in relationships—well at least he is. I'm still trying to figure out what Bobby and I are.

Just like me, Jessica is also having her birthday party today as it turns out, her and I both have close birthdays. She was born on the twentieth while I was born on the twenty first, however, she turned eighteen. I'm not exactly sure why Jessica is having her party on my birthday instead of her birthday considering it's a Wednesday night and a school night nonetheless.

Deciding that's enough deep thinking for one day, I stand up from my bed and walk over to my closet. My friends would be here soon and I want to look presentable for my party. I end up going with a red dress fitted at the waist along with red heels. I straighten my hair, letting it fall to the small of back. Over the years, I've taken good care of my hair, allowing it to grow substantially and only flattening it for events. I added a little bit of mascara to my lashes and red lipstick to complement my dress.

My mama knocks on my door and opens it slightly. "Hey sweetheart, your friends are here." She steps into my bedroom and stares at me in awe. "Isn't that funny. Ruby wearing Ruby." She chuckles, "Baby you look gorgeous." My mama and I aren't as close as we used to be. Ever since my father's passing, she hasn't exactly been mother of the year, however, she does try her best.

"Thank you mama. Can you send them up for me?" I ask, still looking at her through the mirror. She nods. "Of course honey. They'll be up in a minute." She left the door cracked and went downstairs to retrieve my friends.