8|ᴊᴜsᴛ ғʀɪᴇɴᴅs ᴀɢᴀɪɴ.

October 5th, 1966
St. Louis, Missouri
6:28pm

Ruby☆

Ruby

As soon as I got home from school, I deep cleaned my entire bedroom. I was able to get a lot done without any interruptions since Renny had been away at work and my mama was sleeping on the couch. Nothing new there. Jimmy and I had arranged for him to come over at 6:30 because he had football practice afterschool. I told him he had to sneak in through my bedroom window due to my mother's strong distaste for white folk. Planning for homecoming or not, she didn't approve of Renny and me even associating with them. She says "it's what my father would've wanted". Even in death that man still controls her.

Once I finally finished, I went to my room and searched through some records of mine to get a head start on planning the music for the dance. It's not that I didn't want to talk to Jimmy because trust me, I did. It was just the fact that I cheated on my boyfriend and the guilt was eating me alive. I wasn't sure how Jimmy could just move on and act like it never happened.

I was startled when I heard an object come in contact with my window. It was followed by another, then another, until I finally got up to see what was the cause of all of the ruckus was only to find Jimmy looking up at me. He waved and smiled at me. Gosh he looks good. He was wearing his lettermen jacket and navy blue slacks. His hair was ruffled and his shoes were neatly tied. I opened my window for him and instructed for him to use the ladder sitting on the side of the house to get up.

He got to the top and I helped pull him into my bedroom to keep him from falling backward. "Thanks." He mutters looking down at me. "No problem." I just barely managed to get out. It was as if I was in some sort of trance. From his curly ash brown hair to his full pink lips, there was something about him that kept me from wanting to stay away.

He broke the silence. "So do you want to get start-" I cut him off and tugged his head down to me, smashing his lips against mine. His lips were moist and tasted almost like strawberries. He immediately grabbed my waist, tugging me towards him. I ran my fingers through his hair and gripped it while he groaned into the kiss. That was enough to make me realize what was doing.

This is cheating.

I pushed him off of me and tucked my hair behind my ears. "What's wrong? Did I do something?" He started to approach me. "I hope you don't think I was trying to have sex with you because-"

"No! I just-we just can't do this." I stepped back pointed back and forth between him and I. "You're white and I'm black. If we were ever seen being that close I could lynched! Or even worse, someone in my family could get hurt. Not to mention, we're both in relationships and it would be wrong to do that to Jessica and Bobby." I took a seat on the bed and he joined me. Jimmy stared off for a bit as if contemplating something before nodding his head.