Chapter 1

-Liena's pov-

Ten years ago today. That's when my brother Guozhi was taken. I don't remember what happened, only confusion when he wasn't there the next day. Or the next. The confusion doubled at the cries of my parents. And the pain of realizing, years later, what had actually happened.

Nowadays, I try to liven up the dreary, ongoing everyday life by doing whatever possible. I've learned every joke in the book, mastered slapstick comedy, and I could list out the comedic preferences of everyone in this little town. I know we're in the middle of a war, and that our town is overrun by Fire Nation soldiers, but people need to smile. The adults yell at me for being irresponsible and overly confident from time to time, but I know they love the smiles on their kids' faces and the sound of their laughter.

I have a lot of fun with the other kids around the town, occasionally playing small pranks on the soldiers. One time we... well, I. I almost got in serious trouble, so we let up a little, but only a little. And even then, I only let up because Nakia wanted me to.

Nakia is my best friend, and one of the smartest people you'll ever meet. She's the person who thinks logically while people like me rush into things, only thinking about the flaws in the plan afterwards. She's saved my butt alot. It really helps that she lives right next door to me.

I can't help but think... Is Guozhi still even alive? You're probably thinking, well, that was a fast topic switch! And you're right, but once I start thinking about my brother, thoughts of him just keep coming up randomly throughout the day. If I don't even really remember him, then why do I miss him so much? If I ever get confirmation that he's alive, I'll go after him, but right now he could be dead, and there are so many Fire Nation soldiers. That's stupid... Stupid that he had to go away, I mean he was nine. He didn't know any better. I hope he's still alive.

The worst part is, it's his birthday. He's nineteen now. If he's still alive...

"Liena! Earth to Liena! Did you hear me?" A hand waves in front of my face accompanied by the jangling of bracelets.

"Nakia! Sorry, got... lost in the vortex of deep thought," I say. We're sitting in the town square in front of the large tree in the center. Er, what's left of it. All there is now is a blackened stump with the Fire Nation banner in the center. The tan girl smirks at me and nudges my shoulder. She's the same age that Guozhi would be now. They had been best friends when they were little. They even shared a birthday.

"Looks like someone else is stuck in the vortex, too," she says, gesturing to someone across the square. A small black-haired boy is looking in my direction, his mother buying a loaf of bread from the nearest vendor. When our eyes meet, his face flushes red and he ducks behind the top of his shirt.

"Don't make fun of my boyfriend! Gui's very sweet, even if we're not officially dating," I state, rather obnoxiously. Nakia rolls her eyes and adjusts her green headscarf.

"You're both twelve." Her voice was dripping with sarcasm. I don't know what her problem is. In the entire time I've known her, she's never had a boyfriend. I don't even think she's ever even liked anyone!

"We're twelve and a half! Anyway, before we got all distracted," I say.

"Wasn't me who got distracted first," she muttered. I ignore this.

"Were you trying to say something before?" Nakia's face clears up, her previous comment forgotten.

"Yeah. I found something weird while digging out the area around the old cherry tree. Mom wants me to get rid of it, but I want to wait until you help me find out what this thing is!" She whispers the words, trying not to seem suspicious and to prevent attracting the attention of the soldiers. Her hand grabs my wrist, and I'm pulled toward her small family farm near the edge of town.

She drags me towards her bed (well, the one she shares with her mother and younger siblings). It's weird, because she double checks that the windows and doors are tightly closed. On the middle of the bed sits a small chest, a long rectangular shape. It's not a weird shape really, but whatever's inside must be really important, because the box has the Earth kingdom insignia stamped on the sides and lid.

Nakia carefully tries to unbuckle the locks, but to no avail. She starts shaking it and grabbing at the locks, breaking a few of her nails in the process and grunting in frustration. I stop her with my hand and pull a small amount of dirt and tiny pebbles from the floor, making a toothpick shape and getting to work on picking the small lock. Nakia quietly thanks me and opens the small chest.

Inside, the treasure surprises me. Nakia picks it up and unrolls it, checking out the small illustrations of ancient Earthbenders' performing techniques.

"Holy badgermole! That's an Earthbending scroll!"

Written by KateWalker553