Determined

Vera had figured out how to make Phoenix tell her his secret.

She would get him to take off the gloves, by telling him that she didn't tend to react to gross or shocking things, and she was actually fascinated by how bad his hands must look. Then, after seeing that they weren't so bad, she would tell him that he had to tell her.

If he asked why she needed to know, she would just say that she was interested by him. She would tell him how she felt. Hopefully this would work.

She came up with this while watching him in eighth period. She had to talk to him, and get a friendship with him. She would, hopefully, get to the point of one going to the other's house.

When the period ended, she went up to Phoenix. "Hi," she said.

"Hey," he replied, finishing packing up.

"You walk home, right?" Vera asked. She knew he did, of course, so when he nodded, she found it unsurprising. "Well, that's great, because we can talk to each other until it's time to leave!" she said.

"Okay," Phoenix said.

"So," Vera said. "Are you a latchkey kid?"

"No," Phoenix answered. Then he hesitated. "That's where you get home and no one is home but you, right?" he asked.

"Yeah," Vera said, confused. He was old enough to know that term well, right? He made amazing grades. Why didn't he know that phrase very well? Oh, well. Maybe he was tired.

Phoenix relaxed. "Good," he said. "I've never had much reason to use it in real life, since I was home-schooled for so long."

"Oh," Vera said. "That makes sense. So, why do you walk?"

"I prefer it," Phoenix explained. He glanced at the clock. "It's almost time to leave," he observed.

"Yes, it is," Vera said. "You know," she added. "You're very quiet normally."

"I don't talk to people much because I'm too different from them," Phoenix said. "I'm not edgy," he added, "but I really am pretty different."

"Yeah, you are," Vera agreed. "You're not like everyone else, but I think that's great."

Phoenix chuckled. "It's time to leave," he said, walking to the door. Vera followed him.

"You know," she said. "I wanna see your hands."

Phoenix tensed. "You'd regret it," he said.

"But I'm really not that bothered by, like, shocking things," Vera told him. "In fact, I tend to be fascinated by things like that. I know most girls are the opposite, but I'm not like most girls."

Phoenix raised an eyebrow. "I won't show you," he said. "I'm not comfortable. I barely know you!"

"Okay," Vera said. "It's okay." She'd just have to wait. She was determined to see his hands and find out his secret.

_

Phoenix wasn't sure about Vera. He didn't know much about her, but he knew she was smart. Not in a school way, but she had street smarts. He was pretty certain she was onto him.

As he was starting to walk home, he contacted Ashlyn. He wanted to talk to her.

Hey, Ashlyn, he said.

Oh, Phoenix! she exclaimed. Hi! How are you?

I miss you guys, Phoenix admitted.

We miss you, too, Ashlyn said. My birthday was terrible.

Did you get the flowers I always get you? Phoenix asked.

Yeah, and they're beautiful, Ashlyn said, showing him a picture in her mind.

They look like you guys are doing well with their care, Phoenix remarked.

We have nothing else to do! Ashlyn said. There's a reason why we didn't know the quarantine started in 2020 until a week after it began.

Phoenix chuckled. It's not the most impressive amount of obliviousness, he told her. Robert Oppenheimer didn't know the Great Depression was happening until six months after the stock market crashed.

I know, I read a book about the race to build the atomic bomb, and I can't believe they put a man like that in charge of the atomic bomb. Ashlyn said. How absent-minded can you be? He also went for a walk while on a date, and forgot about the date, going to his apartment and falling asleep, and leaving her in his car. She found out hours later when she told a policeman and they searched his apartment!

It's silly, Phoenix said, laughing. Truth really is stranger than fiction, and everything in that book only goes to prove it.

So, Ashlyn said. Now to be serious. How's your story working of the fire?

Well, that's actually what I wanted to tell you, Phoenix said, biting his lip nervously. You see, there's a girl in one of my classes who might be on to me. She was asking today to see my hands, and I said no, and she backed down when I was adamant, but I'm worried.

Relax, Ashlyn said. Everything should be fine. If she can't prove that you're hiding something, then she can't do anything about the fact that you are.

That's true, Phoenix said, smiling. Thank you, Ashlyn.

You're welcome, Ashlyn replied.

***

I didn't know how to end this. Do you think Vera will figure out what he's hiding? Answer right here. -->