3. pit-stop cities

"why is toronto so cold?" ashton's teeth chattered as he pulled his beanie down to cover his ears, the cool breeze having already painted a faint blush across his cheeks.

michael nodded in agreement, his face almost completely obscured by his coat and his hair hidden under a snapback, a few strands of red poking out of the closure at the front.

"toronto isn't cold, you're just a pussy." luke bumped ashton's shoulder with his own, prompting a cry of protest from the older boy and shared laughter from calum, michael and florence.

"i feel like my ears are going to freeze and fall off as little ice cubes." calum's voice stood out to florence, and she had to refrain from turning to face him too quickly.

"okay, where are we going first?" luke's nose has gone bright pink in the sharp cold, and florence giggled as michael reached across to boop it rather than answering his question.

"dude there's a hockey hall of fame, we have to go." ashton excitedly waved his phone at the group, showing a list of top ten things to do while you're in toronto.

"you don't even play hockey?" michael quipped.

"that doesn't mean i can't appreciate it." ashton was quick to retort. "and besides, how many cities have a museum about hockey? one, and it's toronto. so let's go."

before anyone could reply, ashton had already pulled up google maps on his phone and was leading them in the direction of the famed hockey museum.

florence ducked her head slightly, tucking her chin into the collar of her coat, accustomed to, but not enjoying the cold breezes that whipped her in the face.

michael and ashton darted ahead, excitedly taking in the new environment - florence noticed that they seemed unaware of the stares and subtle snapchat pictures being taken of them by passers by.

calum had caught up with him; swept away by their contagious energy and bounding along the streets of toronto.

luke ambled beside florence, his hands tucked deep in his pockets.

"toronto is really cold man." he breathed out, creating a tiny cloud that was gone as soon as it appeared. "fuck."

"you don't like the cold?" florence asked, pulling a few strands of her ponytail out of her coat collar.

"not so much." luke laughed. "i never get used to it."

"you're still a full fledged australian?"

"you can take the boy out of australia but you can't take the australia out the boy." luke grinned lopsidedly.

"do you still find it weird being away?"

"sometimes yeah. when we're doing shows or going to parties not so much just because obviously - there's other stuff on your mind. but when we're just walking around like this sometimes i think of where i'd be going if i was home."

"where would you be going?" florence enquired softly, sensing from luke's slightly wistful tone that his home was a tender subject for him.

"me and calum lived on the same road all our lives and there was a huge park right across the road." he smiled a little at the thought and florence's heart warmed at the pure happiness she could see on his face.

"we used to meet there pretty much every day and play soccer - he was way better than me because he was a pro but it was still really fun. ash and michael would come sometimes but when we met them we were trying to start this band thing, so a lot of the time went on rehearsals. but i'd probably be playing soccer if i was home how."