Chapter 1

*Max's POV*

Max......Max.......MAX!!

I woke with a start, sweat dripping down the sides of my face. My breathing was fast, and I was gasping for air. Jesus, what the hell did I dream about last night? Oh...

Nikki and Neil were standing over my bed, with worry in their eyes. They both were already dressed. I must have slept in.

"Sorry if we scared you.. Are you okay?" Nikki asked apologetically.

"Ugh.. yeah. I'm fine." I sat up, a sharp pain stabbed through my side. I winced.

"You don't look fine. Did you sleep a certain way that may hav-" Neil started, but I cut him off.

"Guys, seriously. Back off! I'm fine!" I got out of bed, wearing my yellow camp shirt and some black shorts. Every part of me ached. My head throbbed, and I felt like I was gonna throw up. "I just.. Need some breakfast, okay? Leave me alone." I threw on my blue hoodie and headed for the Mess Hall.

I could see Nikki and Neil giving each other nervous glances out of the corner of my eye as I walked away.

*David's POV*

"gooOOOOD MORNING, CAMPERS!" I chirped, as I saw the last few campers enter the Mess Hall. "I hope everyone slept well! Because we have a busy few days ahead of us!" Max walked in, slamming the door open a bit too hard, and everyone stared at him. It was silent for a minute that felt like hours, as you could very easily see the slight bags under his eyes.

"The 'fuck are you guys lookin' at?" Everyone quickly looked away, and returned their attention to me. Gosh, that was a bit odd.

"..riiggGGGHT! As I was saying, we have a busy few days ahead of us. As you all know, camp is unfortunately coming to a close next week. Well in preparation for the last day, we'd like to spend a few days to let you all do what you came here to do! The next few days are all yours."

The campers gave out a small cheer and the room was quickly back to life.

Max walked over to the table in the corner and sat down, not even bothering to grab a food tray. He didn't even look at anyone or say something. He just kind of.. Sat there and stared off into space.

Not much longer after he sat down, Nikki and Neil walked in and each sat down on both sides next to Max.

"Max, aren't you hungry? You don't have a tray." Nikki asked.

"No, not really in the mood," Max still didn't look up at either of the two.

"Alright Max, cut the shit. What's wrong with you this morning?" Neil glanced at Max, clearly worried.

"Jesus, guys. What's your problem?"

"Our problem is that you don't seem okay! You woke up this morning sweating and pale, and now you haven't eaten anything for the past two days. Something is clearly wrong with you, man!"

"Would you guys shut the fuck up and leave me alone? I don't need you two constantly bothering me when I already have one bastard that does that job perfectly." He glared at me from the corner.

Ouch, I thought.

"Look, I'm not gonna keep repeating it, so listen closely; I. AM. FINE. I'm gonna stay in the tent, and if I hear one more person actually give a shit about me, I'm gonna wrap my dick around their neck and start 'em like a goddamn lawnmower."

"Max, wait!" Nikki slightly reached her hand out, but missed Max as he got up and sulked out the doors.

He threw his hood over his head and I barely made out his face. I couldn't see his eyes, but the rest of his face just seems wilted; expressionless.